Intermediate Shaft Question

-

CamaroHunter

Reaction score
This is my first small block Mopar build and I am not sure if I need to get the heavy duty intermediate shaft or can I reuse the one that was in it? I am building a 340 for my son's 1967 dodge dart. The engine has the J heads and a Lunati 10200703 cam. The operating range is supposed to be from 1800-6200 RPMs. My machine shop seems to think I do not need it and couldn't get one from his parts supplier. The shaft that was in the engine looks ok but does not have the pinned gear. Has anybody ever had one of these break or come apart? How about any tips for dropping it in and getting everything to line up correctly?

Thanks. I appreciate any info I can get.

If you are running anything other than a stock oil pump, then yes upgrade the shaft.

Thanks. I about have this thing together and this was the one part I lack in finishing it up. I did see that Mancini Racing sells them.

Good choice...regardless of what pump you use, buy the better shaft...this forum is filled with people whose fresh engines lost oil pressure within a couple thousand miles (or in many cases less) because they used the factory shaft.

-
Back