Intermittant Wiper Motor and Switch

-

thepaintguy

Reaction score
Was ready to weld in the wiper motor well on my '67 A Body and install a different brand and style intermittent wiper motor/switch under my dash. Of course that meant hours of fabrication and mock up work, but I want intermittent wipers.
Newport Engineering solved the problem by building a smaller, sleeker, intermittent wiper motor with the correct wiper/washer switch. I've used they're equipment before- works correctly right out of the box, that's why I know they're product line and quality.
I think the cost was around 3 bills. Only gotta buy one... unless you keep building new rides. I'd researched "Intermittent Wiper Motor for A Body" on Google and other search engines- nothing came up except "Restored 3 Speed Wiper Motor's" I spoke to the man that builds them. Nice guy and does excellent work. I like fully restored parts. The man I spoke to does just that. Turns out an Excellent Product, I just wanted something a little more custom.
I'm running a Fuel Injected Cross Ram under the hood and really wanted the wiper motor gone. This smaller setup looks a little cleaner under the hood and I can live with that. I don't have a picture of the install as the engine compartment is still getting a few mod's before paint. Here's the 'ol girl roasting on the spit....still
tpg

20170417_163946.jpg

I'm confused...........did you end up buying this Newport outfit? Link? Photos? ??

Thanks

MXA041.jpg

Zoom

MXA041.jpg

WINDSHIELD WIPER TIMER MODULE

Time interval (without modifications) is adjustable from 3 to 30 seconds for intermittent wiper function.

Fully Assembled Module
us.png
$10.00
SKU:MXA041

• Buy 5 for $9.50 each and save 5%
  • Buy 10 for $9.00 each and save 10%
  • Buy 50 for $8.50 each and save 15%

Qty:
Email to a Friend

• Enclosures
  • The pot has an ON/OFF switch incorporated and it would be possible to add a short length of wire (100 cm or aprox 36 inchs 5 wires in total) to remotely mount the control.

Chose a knob for the potentiometer here: HARDWARE <-- We include a small plastic knob with the MXA041 now.

Keep in mind that there are far to many wiring configurations for us to be able help with all installs.
Knowledge of automotive wiring is required for successful installation.
Basically this is just like a switch that goes across the low speed switch.

The easiest way to make the unit work is, locate which wire is the slow speed wipe.

Connect a lead to your positive terminal on your battery and the other end is used to probe the wiper motor wires.

Which ever one starts the slow wipe cycle is the one you are after.

Now connect the COM pin of the relay to positve of your cars supply, the NO pin goes to the wire you have just discovered.

The wipe cycle should complete a full revolution when you remove the trigger wire (your positive probe).

• I used an old door window crank nob to match my other door crank nobs, drilled it and tapped for a set screw, inserted delay unit in a lower dash gauge panel below my a/c ducts

I'm confused...........did you end up buying this Newport outfit? Link? Photos? ??

Thanks
Here's a couple pictures right out of the box. Comes with the proper Intermittent Wiper/Washer Switch. The knob doesn't belong to our era cars- OEM Knobs will slide right on though. This unit is smaller, lighter, tighter than the OEM Motor. Google Newport Engineering for they're phone number. You'll have your parts in a couple days.
tpg

20170717_090040.jpg

20170717_090057.jpg

Looks like a nice compact unit. I am installing a 392 crate Hemi in a 67 cuda and need room right where the wiper motor sits. That Newport unit might just be small enough to work without having to put a unit inside under the dash. Which would be difficult to access later. I went on their website but did not see anything for an Abody. Do you have part numbers? Thanks Jack.

The compact unit wins hands down. I can live with that under the hood. Welding in the wiper motor well was going to be my last resort. I actually contacted Newport Engineering giving them my plans for an internally mounted wiper/washer motor. After a few minutes on the phone it didn't take much for me to go with a "Bolt In" application.
I fell and bumped my head on a Lincoln Welder when I was 10... left me thinking Fabricate Everything. Ain't wearing off yet, but Newport Engineering saved me some time and gave me what I wanted in these items.

Can you post up your wiring schematic, in particular, what color wire on the original wiring harness did you tap into? I believe there are 4 wires running to the wiper motor.

Thanks
To be honest do not remember at this time. the car is 400 miles away at this time. I think that the unit is normal closed so wiper switch works normal, but either slow speed or the return wire is the one spliced in so when you turn on the delay switch is sends the power to the motor then turns off for however long you have the delay set for. I just wired it to one of the wires going to the wiper until it worked correctly. It uses acc power to trigger the relay, you will have a ground, then witch ever wire from the wiper switch to the motor is wired in series through the unit. Again normally closed as if it is not there, then will pulse a power through the wire to the motor to operate one sweep. It does come with wiring diagrams, but was not clear, just played with it till i got it to work. Actually like it better than some factory ones because it will delay for up to over a minute.

Here's a couple pictures right out of the box. Comes with the proper Intermittent Wiper/Washer Switch. The knob doesn't belong to our era cars- OEM Knobs will slide right on though. This unit is smaller, lighter, tighter than the OEM Motor. Google Newport Engineering for they're phone number. You'll have your parts in a couple days.
tpg

View attachment 1715070370

View attachment 1715070371

Old thread, I know...

@thepaintguy
How did it turn out? Any pictures of your install? Would you be able to share which model/part number it is?

Thanks,
'CRT

-
Back