Intermittent starting problems

-

hotrod swinger

Reaction score
1973 Dart Swinger

I have been having these intermittent start problems:

1. Turn key to start and hold, no crank
2. Turn key to start and hold, cranks after a couple of seconds pass
3. Turn key to start, engine cranks but doesn’t fire until key is released to run

Any one of these three things happens randomly about once approximately every 15-20 starts, no pattern.

I understand how the ignition system works from reading other threads, fully understand IGN1, IGN2, wiring, etc.

I have checked all of my connections, including the bulkhead. Everything “looks” good.

I have repaired several other electrical problems with help from this forum, including dealing with high voltage by installing an ignition relay system.

Except for the start problem I have no other electrical problems.

Ignition switch? Starter relay?

Last edited:
Possible you have more then1 problem. All items have clean Grounds and a wire from engine to firewall.

Have you investigated the neutral safety / clutch switch? You could temporarily bypass that by grounding that pin of the starter relay. It is the wire that head off from the relay (dark colored) down the fireway to the auto, or through a separate grommet into the firewall (clutch) CAUTION will now start in any gear!!!

Before you do that have you tried holding key in start, and wiggling auto shift lever, or working clutch up/ down with gearbox in neutral?

It’s an automatic.

Next time it happens I will try wiggling the shifter, but that wouldn’t explain the crank no start issue, would it?

The no start----possible causes IN NO ORDER Bad ignition switch/ or connector, bad connections in bulkhead, bad ballast resistor. What do you have for ignition system, IE break points, Mopar ECU, MSD, etc?

I agree, doesn't matter vehicles, aircraft, U.S. Navy RADAR, electronics, amateur radio, or TV / audio, intermittent problems are the worst.

I've gone as far as rig up nasty lookin temporary pilot lamps at various places to see what is getting power and what "aint."

Don't discount ANYTHING. Could be a corroded terminal in a connector, ANY connector in that circuit, or a bad ECU itself. MAKE CERTAIN THE ECU is grounded. CERTAIN. You can tell with a meter "if you catch" the problem by turning on the key and measuring coil + to ground. A grounded conducting ECU will pull coil+ voltage down to about 6-8 v with key in "run" and coil NEG with be maybe 1-2 V "Full battery" at coil + and - means coil not conducting through the box.

I installed a new starter relay on Saturday, dozens of starts since then with no problems, fingers crossed.

I have done exhaustive wiring repairs, so I was pretty sure it was a component, and I had already installed a new ignition switch.

I currently have had that same issue for several weeks. One day it starts and the next it just cranks and when I let off the key it acts as if it wants to fire. Everything else has been replaced except the starter relay. i'll buy one tonight.

If the starter is operating IT IS NOT the starter relay. What you describe is in the ballast/ IGN1/ IGN2 circuit. Bad key switch, mad connection at the switch, connector, bulkhead, ballast

Are we talking about my original post or post 14? I haven’t had any more problems since I installed the new relay, but my problem was different than post 14.

Check the neutral safety switch plug on the transmission. If it gets a bit loose starting problems are intermittent.

This is why, guys you should not add/ hijack a thread. Things get confusing. Also, NSS is not the problem IF IT CRANKS over.

I should say, with respect to the original problem, replacing the starter relay seems to have corrected it.

I know that these problems can have multiple causes, bad connections, bulkhead connector, etc., but over the winter I went over my entire ignition system and replaced and/or repaired every single connection from battery to switch to alternator.

This is why, guys you should not add/ hijack a thread. Things get confusing. Also, NSS is not the problem IF IT CRANKS over.
Sorry, I'm kinda new to this and I'm old, I thought I was just commenting. I'll start a new thread for my issue.

No problem. We've had threads that kinda got out of hand trying to follow "3 problems at once" LOL

-
Back