internal or external balance

-

gipperco

Reaction score
I have a question that I am trying to find the answer to and who better to ask then the Smart people of this site. Are all 318's internally balanced ?????

Everything I've read suggests that all production 318's are internal balance. Not sure about the wide blocks or custom builds.

Only the 1967 318 came with a forged crank with internally balanced components,all the rest up to the late eights were cast cranks and externally balanced,mrmopartech

Are you sure about 68 and up being externally balanced????I was always thought they are internally balanced (don't know about the magnums)...I have 3 here and most parts interchange with the 340's. The only externally balanced motors I know of are the 360's and the 73/74 340's...but I've been wrong before???
checked the book by Larry Shepard on the small block...page 18 has the info...the 318's are internally balanced, they have a cast crank thats lighter then the 340's and the pistons and rods are lighter. If you bolt a 318 into a 340 you must rebalance it!

I believe it is only the 360 came externally balanced and a 1 year only 340 ('73). All other engines are internal. Wide blocks are internal. And custom job should be done internal.
Magnum 318 are internal.
Magnum 360's are extrnal and different from earlier 360's.

well, according to my info, cast crank(external) 318's start in 1975. all others down to 68 are forged(internal). in fact 68-69 and 70-71 318/340 have the same balancer for the 2 respective dates above. all 340's after 4-11-72 are externally balanced.

Hey Red, you got this out of a book?
Which one?

At this point, I would trust the book more than me.

the little white books that galen govier sells. this is the part and casting # book.

Good, Thanks Dude. I guess that qualifies as qualifed info source.

According to my MOPAR PERFORMANCE A-engine book.

All 318's from 1968 to 1992 have cast crankshafts but are also internally balanced.

The 340 with the same stroke is externally balanced with a cast iron 3.31" stroke crankshaft, because it has heavier rods and pistions than the 318. Forged steel cranks are made of denser materials than cast cranks, this allows for internal balancing with higher piston/rod weights.

ALL 318's are internally balanced period.

Bob

Thats what I thought. OK, it's bed time for this night worker. Later..........

-
Back