internal or external ballanced

-

72demon440

Reaction score
what is the easiest way to tell if my 383 is an internal or external ballanced motor with out pulling the oil pan! had flexplate on it when I got it! It is a 71 383! Jared

Attachments

• phone pictures 005 (Small).jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 449
  • phone pictures 004 (Small).jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 468
  • phone pictures 003 (Small).jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 415
I looked on the 440 source web site and found that damper I have and it says that is an externally ballanced damper. are the cast cranks not as strong as the forged ones?

cast cranks are not as strong as forged cranks and never will be. this doesn't mean that a cast crank can't make a bunch of horse power and take abuse. your 383 will do just fine with it. a cast crank is lighter than a forged one and will rpm faster. you also can have your crank internally balanced.

well no one was chiming in so I guess I was talking to my self! Thanks, Jared

................No 383 had a weight on the balancer........although 71 383 2bbls had a cast crank it still was internally balanced......u may have a 400 or a 400 crank is installed in the 383 or just the wrong balancer..........kim..........

The '71 383 with the cast crank used damper # 3577180 and is weighted. It was very definately externally balanced. I've owned one.

I did notice that the damper has an oblong weight on the front of it!

take the pulley off and take a pic but that's a damper for a cast crank.
also take the pan off and look on the front counter weights. one of them will have the cubic inch number cast onto it. plus the counter weights will be squared off on the edges and the forged one will be rounded.

What are the numbers and letters stamped on the machined pad below the distributor? It could very well be stamped G383 E. This will be a 1971 383 w/cast crank.

Also it is a 383 if the block casting number is 2468130.

It was the 1971 383s that came from the factory with the 2bbl carburetor, that used the cast crank.

The 2bbl 383s and 400s used the same cast crank, 3462922.

I know the pad says it is a G383, don't remember if it had an E after it. I ran it today and everything seems to be good, so monday it goes on the engine stand and coming apart to reseal it! I will check out the crank then! Thanks, jared

................No 383 had a weight on the balancer........although 71 383 2bbls had a cast crank it still was internally balanced......u may have a 400 or a 400 crank is installed in the 383 or just the wrong balancer..........kim..........

The 383 2-bbl in 1971 was external balance .

I got the pan off the engine today and checked everything out and the crank is a cast crank, and not a forged one! edges of the crank are cut and not round. still have to take some more pictures! Jared

I got the pan off the engine today and checked everything out and the crank is a cast crank, and not a forged one! edges of the crank are cut and not round. still have to take some more pictures! Jared

no need it's external balance if it's a cast crank.

72 demon, had a 440 in it previously!

Attachments

• demon pictures 003 (Small) (2).jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 241
I got the 383 for $300. just have to reseal it compared to full bore and rebuild my 440! Eventually the 440 will go back in the car! this is just so I will be able to get it on the road sooner!

I got the 383 for $300. just have to reseal it compared to full bore and rebuild my 440! Eventually the 440 will go back in the car! this is just so I will be able to get it on the road sooner!
nice.i got my 383 $250 thats all i have to do to my mine is reseal it.mine is a 1968 383

nice.i got my 383 $250 thats all i have to do to my mine is reseal it.mine is a 1968 383

Oh wow, nice deals. Sorry for the threadjack by the way.

-
Back