Internally regulated alternator for Ron Francis wiring

-

Bywatermopars

1971 Demon 340
Reaction score
I am in the midst of swapping over my electrical system to a Ron Francis Express system. When we connected the alternator per the instructions, the power feed to the alternator fried the wiring and alternator. Their tech line help are not Mopar people so they just suggested swapping in an internally regulated alternator. Has anyone had any luck with this swap? I have read where someone suggested 2002 Ram Van alternator would do this with the same bolt pattern and brackets. This is on a 340 in my Duster. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Tom

Every generic harness, even the Painless "Mopar" musclecar harness, pay no attention to the details of your charging system. You are on your own.

Do you still have your original engine harness? If the alternator and voltage regulator are still servicable, try to correctly wire your alternator regulator to field circuits. They are simple. If you split the harness, you can remove the connectors for the blue and green field connections to the alternator that run to the firewall voltage regulator. The blue is tied in parallel to the ballast resistor ignition-on B+. Green is the field control. Then you can treat the alternator output stud as a 1 wire alternator that the harness folks would like you to have. This can also be easily built but the connectors are a little specialized. Francis may sell them, I like real auto electric supply houses like terminal supply co.

Try to get ahold of an A body wiring diagram!

It doesn't sound like you have any original firewall connector or fuse block considerations. If you are working with or around these with your Francis harness you should not have the "chrysler ammeter wiring" problem. (That fix involving adding a second fusible link, dedicated alternator output wiring, and tying together the ammeter leads need not apply!)

If you could figure a way of posting the destructions that Francis provided, and how you integrated your alternator, I could help you.

Francis regulators SEEM to be the equivalent of the 69/ earlier Mopar regulators electrically

-
Back