Internet troubles...

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Have Century Link Dsl. Only package out here is 1.5mbps download. Past 2 weeks it has been much slower. Using the speed test on CenturyLinks sit have been lucky to see .6mbps downloads....but my upload speeds have been .9mbps. Several very annoying phone calls....thats another story...later and have gotten nowhere. Keep hearing that the modem diagnostic page is claiming 1.5 down and .87 up. Gave up on the phone calls, emailed them. Just sent them a screen shot of the last test...talk about frustrating

It could be several things. 1st eliminate the house wiring. Take your modem to the network interface and plug it in. We use speedtest.net regardless of the provider. If your speed is higher at the interface you have wiring trouble. No speed test site is truly accurate since several factors effect speed. Speed tests really aren't as accurate as a tech using a JDSU.

Well.......after half a dozen calls....one of which ended with me telling the customer service representative that she needs to go to school to learn how to speak English and getting hung up on, 7 emails, and at least a dozen "chats" this had been resolved...sorta.

Started another chat last night. Finally got somebody who gave a rats arse. According to him the problem "may" have been some sort of hardware issue...his tests showed I had 5 different devices recieving data....only thing that was receiving data was my laptop that was hard wored to the modem....
He wrote up another ticket.....tech guy called me at 8:15 this morning. He told me that the "congestion" was on their end. He said the network is seriously overloaded. I cut him off...asking about the 3 conduits that were getting buried about 5 miles from us. Tech told me that CenturyLink will be running fiber optics out here. Supposed to be done by end of January. He told me that we will be getting an upgrade in speed, unsure of what speed. He also said we will be getting an increase in equipment. Anybody that moves into this area right now can not get a landline.....unless someone has their services terminated. We had to wait 6 months to get a landline

I know of 1 similar case, Daughter lives in apartment complex. My grandson misplaced his cell phone. Neighbor boy returned it. A week later she figured out that the neighbor had hacked her wifi.
Password change cut them off, solved the problem.
When AT&T was running fiber optic in this area and offering what they call "Uverse" their engineer told me that since my home was well over 5000 feet from the actual fiber optic cable ( it goes back into the wires from there ) my service wouldn't be great. Months later their introductory rates and 100 dollar bonus check for switching made it worth a try. I may never know what "great" is. What I have is very good, a heck of a lot better than previous DSL, and well worth what I'm paying ( until that introductory rate expires ).

-
Back