Introducing Project "Scabra Tulitque"

-
I had not noticed before the "2.76" tag on the differential cover (and the "2.76 Gears" written in yellow paint in post #24). I believe the original factory differential (long gone) carried a 2.93 gear.

When moving the vehicle around the yard (driving it) all of a sudden it died. Lost all electrical components also (horn, lights, etc.)

The first thing I tried was bypassing the ammeter, but that did not work.

I found a reproduction underhood wiring harness in storage, so I installed that next. Then I found a rebuilt alternator in storage (a little crusty) and purchased an old-school voltage regulator (point type) at a local auto parts dealer. Replaced the head lamp switch and ignition switch.

At this point, I could "hot wire" the vehicle and the horn worked, but the ignition switch would not work the starter, and the tail lights and headlights would not work. After finally replacing the underhood fusible link (16 gauge), all systems came back on line. The bottom wire in the last photo was on the vehicle and was replaced. I reconnected the ammeter.

When I had the dash out, I replaced all the little lamps in the circuit board. For some reason, even with new bulbs, only one of the three dash background lamps work, and the oil pressure light does not work either.

Noticed the brake master cylinder was empty, so a complete brake job is next.

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

fusible link assortment.jpg

Last edited:
I am cleaning up the brake parts and backing plates. We have 10" x 2.25" brake shoes in front and 9" x 2" brake shoes in rear. So far on the backing plates I have used brake cleaner, wire brush, Dremel tool (too remove rust on those little "grease pads") Simple Green, wax/grease remover, and one coat of Ospho. The Autozone replacement shoes for the rear have less surface area than the shoes that were on the vehicle (first photo). But I notice the ends have been beveled.

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

Last edited:
I needed to loosen the front backing plates in order to access the front wheel cylinder screws. And to remove the rear rubber brake hose, I needed to clamp the 3/8" flare nut wrench with vice-grips to loosen the metal line before stripping off the head of the fastener. That metal line is not factory original, it is the only brake line I find that a previous owner has replaced.

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

I had a local (Mexican) brake shop turn the four brake drums ($10.00 USD for all four). Around here, they don't measure 'em to find if they are more than .060 over. I just hope they are still within specs. They were in excellent condition when removed.

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

The 185/75R14 tires are 20 or 30 years old. A few days after I removed them to renew the brakes, I found one had fallen apart.

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

I had three new Uniroyal Tiger Paws on hand, but had to purchase two new Hankook (online) because the Uniroyal are no longer available around here in that size (and I want a complete set along with a new spare). Need to paint three more rims after I get them sandblasted.

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

The instructions included with the new master cylinder warn against bench bleeding it. They always rust, so I began by applying a coat of Ospho to the cast iron and hung the cylinder up to dry.

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

The space behind the master cylinder was cleaned up a little, coated with Ospho, and finally a shot of RustOleum spray rust reformer. An improvement over photo in post #33.

IMG_0553.jpg

Last step was Ospho, now for a coat of RustOleum Rust Reformer on the backing plates. I could continue to use a topcoat, but I think I will leave 'em be now as they are.

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

Waiting for delivery of a rear brake kit. Cleaned up the front parts to re-use employing a gasoline soak, Evaporust, and Ospho. I found the front had been assembled without self-adjusters and I will leave it that way (this vehicle isn't really driven more than 20 miles a year).

IMG_0563.jpg

I attempted to restore the "oil pressure warning" lamp and the two "dash instrument" lamps (one of the three instrument lamps is working) by getting on my back and pulling them out. I wasn't sure at first if I would be able to reach them without removing the instrument bezel, but I found it was possible.

So I bent the two brass contact tabs a little on each lamp base to better insure contact with the circuit board. After everything back in place, I found the low oil pressure lamp is now functional. Unfortunately, the same two instrument lamps are still failing me.

Last edited:
I took three factory 14" rims down the street to be sand-blasted. Owner wanted $30.00 USD dollars total for the three. After some haggling, I paid $25.00 USD total. Actually, he asked for those two twenty or thirty year old tires in post #32 he wanted for a little trailer he just pushes around his lot, so I threw those in with the deal.

IMG_0564.jpg

Last edited:
Installed master cylinder. Now I'm not sure if the bolt for the pedal should be inserted from the driver's side (like it is situated now) or if the nut should be on the driver's side?

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

Brushed off/blew off the Ospho residue and primed the "Electrofuse" 14" X 4.5" (made in USA) rims with RustOleum. I hung the rims on the drain tube of an old sink (had to counterweight it in order to keep it from tipping over). Electrofusion: "fusion by means of electricity"

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

Assembled one (front) brake assembly this morning (and found some way to cut myself a couple of times). I purchased some "soft" copper washers online for the new hose installation. I used silicone (in place of factory gasket) to seal the wheel cylinders from the outside world. The front will remain manual adjust just like I found 'em. I still need to tighten the backing plate which was loosened so I could access the wheel cylinder bolt heads.

IMG_0624.jpg

-
Back