Iron Ram heads on a 340???

-

T-N-T

WMMC Member
Reaction score
A friend has a stock 1973 340 and is interested in putting some Iron Ram heads on it. He was wondering about how much power and torque he would gain with the 1.92 valve heads or the 2.02 heads from Hughes. His car is stock otherwise. It's more of a cruise night car that might see a track a couple of times a year at the most.

I told him I would run it past you guys here since I have no first hand answers for him.

He might swap the cam to a XE262 Comp Cam to help gain even more cylinder pressure and it's more aggressive ramps.

Your input would be great. Thanks.

Personally I'd use the 1.92s and you can get them from anyone selling the EQ heads for less money and add the Hugghes springs and retainer on them (or just run the stock springs and retainers). They are much better on a mild engine than the LA style heads. With a cam I'd figure 30-40hp from the swap. Just make sure you replace the pushrods and get Magnum rockers. The LA stuff won't work on them.

Probably not a good idea to step down to the 262, could end up with too much cylinder pressure if you're bumping the CR up with the aftermarket Mags.

Personally I'd use the 1.92s and you can get them from anyone selling the EQ heads for less money and add the Hugghes springs and retainer on them (or just run the stock springs and retainers). They are much better on a mild engine than the LA style heads. With a cam I'd figure 30-40hp from the swap. Just make sure you replace the pushrods and get Magnum rockers. The LA stuff won't work on them.

Moper nailed it.. Great bang,for the buck. Remember: E.Q. heads DO HAVE A HEAD,that is drilled for LA intake manifolds.

He actually has a set of Harland Sharp LA roller rockers and pushrods he saved from his old car that he plans on using which is why he wants the Iron Rams. He also has new valve springs so all he with needs is the head with stainless valves, some keepers, retainers, seals and head bolts otherwise.

Stock retainers won't work due to the smaller valve stems I believe.

He actually has a set of Harland Sharp LA roller rockers and pushrods he saved from his old car that he plans on using which is why he wants the Iron Rams. He also has new valve springs so all he with needs is the head with stainless valves, some keepers, retainers, seals and head bolts otherwise.

Stock retainers won't work due to the smaller valve stems I believe.

Spot on,with valve spring retainers.Some Mopar 2.2 litre interchangeable,, springs best to work with: Hughes 1110,plug & play.

Probably not a good idea to step down to the 262, could end up with too much cylinder pressure if you're bumping the CR up with the aftermarket Mags.

The stock advertised compression ratio is 8.5 to 1. The smaller chambers should raise it about a full point. This should result in just under a 8.0 to 1 dynamic compression ratio.

He was looking at that cam since the lift is higher and it has more duration at .050 when compared to the stock 340 cam. The HS roller rockers are 1.6 ratio also.

His goal is to add some snap and low end torque since the car is equipped with the stock 727 and 3.21 gears.

I recommended the smaller valves to him since that combo should have some nice high velocity ports when combined with the aggressive cam ramps. I think he likes the sound of being able to say "it has 2.02 valves" though.

Spot on,with valve spring retainers.Some Mopar 2.2 litre interchangeable,, springs best to work with: Hughes 1110,plug & play.

Those are the springs he has already. He plans on getting the retainers and other parts from Hughes when he buys the heads.

Iron Rams (and any EQ head) cannot use LA rockers. The intake pattern can be had in LA or Magnum. But the rockers are ALL Magnum.

Iron Rams (and any EQ head) cannot use LA rockers. The intake pattern can be had in LA or Magnum. But the rockers are ALL Magnum.

facepalm.gif

My bad, I meant Hughes Indy X LA heads....

The LAX heads can use either. Much different head though and a ton heavier...lol. I'd still avoid anything from Hughes but that's me. The EQs are a better fit IMO.

-
Back