Iron rocker arm question

-

martin7170

Reaction score
I have factory style ductile iron rocker arms with banana groove shafts on my 360. I have this annoying valve tick that I can't adjust out. I'm adjusting the arms with each lobe on it's base circle. I started with 0 lash, then 1/8 turn, 1/4 turn and now 1/2 turn after zero lash and I still get the same noise. I pulled the shafts off and apart and everything seems well oiled. So is this an inherent problem or could it be something else. I also want to verify how to tell which way the banana groove shafts are supposed to face. Thanks in advance for your answers. I have a worverine blue racer camshaft wg1105 hyd camshaft with sealed power 2011 hyd lifters.

If its really a valve tick, after everything you've done, it would be lifter replacement time. Are you sure its not a header leak? With the engine off, try to push down on the pushrods to see if you have a collapsed lifter.

I thought it was that at first but it is under the valve covers. I have another set of iron rockers I'm going to clean up and try this weekend.

Martin , I agree with DusterDon. After what you have done I believe it is lifter a problem. Also a 'flat' lobe that the lifter can't 'adjust' out can cause this too. Good luck and keep us informed...we are all still 'learning'. Terry.

Mechanical rockers and roller rockers will have a slight tick to them, it's just the nature of the beast.

martin7170 said:
I have factory style ductile iron rocker arms with banana groove shafts on my 360. I have this annoying valve tick that I can't adjust out. I'm adjusting the arms with each lobe on it's base circle. I started with 0 lash, then 1/8 turn, 1/4 turn and now 1/2 turn after zero lash and I still get the same noise. I pulled the shafts off and apart and everything seems well oiled. So is this an inherent problem or could it be something else. I also want to verify how to tell which way the banana groove shafts are supposed to face. Thanks in advance for your answers. I have a worverine blue racer camshaft wg1105 hyd camshaft with sealed power 2011 hyd lifters.

notch on the end down and to the front on the drivers side - notch down and to the back on the pasenger side.

As far as ticking - you could have magnum 1.6s on aluminum heads - best described to me as " the sewing machine" syndrome - and he is right.

-
Back