Iron to Aluminum Swap

-

69valiant21

Reaction score
What does it take to swap the stock iron heads to aluminum eddys?

Is it as simple as swapping all the valve train from the irons to the eddys?

Im running a hydraulic cam and stock style shaft mounted rockers.

If the Edelbrocks have not been checked out by a qualifide shop that would be job 1. You need the Felpro Performance 1008 gaskets, and the ARP bolt package for the RPM heads. If the springs on the heads will work with your cam (and NOT basing that on the lift alone) then you will need to bolt them on and check lifter preload with your lifters, and if the preload is right, you're good to go. If not, order the right pushrods to get your preload right, then you're good to go.

This is something I've wondered to because I've thought about doing the swap in my garage without access to a machine shop. Lets say LA engine.

If the Edelbrocks have not been checked out by a qualifide shop that would be job 1. You need the Felpro Performance 1008 gaskets, and the ARP bolt package for the RPM heads. If the springs on the heads will work with your cam (and NOT basing that on the lift alone) then you will need to bolt them on and check lifter preload with your lifters, and if the preload is right, you're good to go. If not, order the right pushrods to get your preload right, then you're good to go.

This almost reads as the eddys came assembled. Im saying if you buy the eddys bare and swap everything over. That way you know the springs are correct because you were just using them on the iron heads. Right?

And LA not magnum.

The biggest advantage of aluminum heads is less weight. -- Plus the "Bling". -- A good set of iron heads is My choice. -- Just My 2 cents.

69valiant21, the valves are not a direct swap over. Eddys have 11/32 stem valves, you likely have 3/8 stem valves.

Like noted.... the parts do not interchange except valve springs. Although the supplied springs will work with some common profiles, they are also not enough for many others, especially faster lift rate designs and rollers of any type.
Edit- you may also have an interference issue if you have the high output, square back, later design alternator.

-
Back