Is Bradenton Fl. going to get closed down by subdivision?

-

RockinRobin

Reaction score
Just saw a disturbing video about city council changing zoning laws to allow housing right up next to the track property at Bradenton. I hope this isn't true, but we all know what happens when developers get cities to change zoning laws and build residential right next to a dragstrip.

It’s gonna happen. Track has been very proactive fighting it, along with racers.
I think it’s still years away though.

The track in Bradenton is way out in the country east of Bradenton. They were clearing land across the highway, north of the track when I was at the race in February.

They're also taking Orange Groves out all over down there too for housing developments. Hopefully a few tracks will still be around before I die.

Tom

Last edited:
That's about what happened to Bandamere mete in Colorado.

I don't think the development caused the closure, I think the land is more valuable to developers now that the development sprung up across the interstate from it.

My parents bought land and built a house a couple miles from an airport runway. 1 maybe 2 flights an hour. 40 years later 1 every 5 minutes

Yet the land is worth millions!

The track in Bradenton is way out in the country east of Bradenton. They were clearing land across the highway, north of the track when I was at the race in February.

They're also taking Orange Groves at all over down there too for housing developments. Hopefully a few tracks will still be around before I die.

Tom

Bradenton and the Developers made a deal to keep both parties happy.
Not exactly sure of the details, but apparently the area around the track will become some kind of park or area devoid of housing.
This is a rare case of both parties getting together to help out the community.

A friend just sold her property less than 1 mile east of the track. She had been living there for in excess of 15 years. Was considered out in the sticks. The properties were minimum 5 acrea lots which hers was one. The traffic was stead but not crazy 10 years ago but now with all the new housing going in and the infrastructure upgrades it's crazy. I was surprised to see it, never thought it reach out that far from the city. Too many people on the planet and they gotta go somewhere ????

That's how they got Middle Georgia Raceway in Byron, Georgia. It was opened in 1966. Slowly, a couple of trailer parks opened around it. They finally closed the track in 1986 after lots of complaints. Fact is, more noise comes from those trailer parks then ever came from that race rack. Sad too. That track saw some of the best, from Petty, to Yarborough, to Allison and on and on. Dodge even filmed a commercial there. The track is still there, although in a terrible state of disrepair.

That's what happened to Englishtown raceway. I first started going there in the mid 80's and it was in the boon docks. I believe in the 90's they started building around there like crazy. The land then becomes too valuable, and the racing stops and they rent the land to store cars. They still have a Spring and Fall swap meet, but not as good as in the past.

That's what happened to Englishtown raceway. I first started going there in the mid 80's and it was in the boon docks. I believe in the 90's they started building around there like crazy. The land then becomes too valuable, and the racing stops and they rent the land to store cars. They still have a Spring and Fall swap meet, but not as good as in the past.
That’s not the full story. The kids did not want to take over the track when the parents got older. It was a staging yard for new cars for a while.
Funny they spent all that money on going full on NHRA big events and then it died off. Cut my teeth at Englishtown.

In FL, the "normal" makeup of city and county council members is 5 of the 7 are realtors or real estate developers.

Conflict of interest?

The best thing for the track is having the big events such as the recent scag mowers superstar shootout to bring in money to the county . Maybe a second NHRA event could be located in florida now that BMP has shown its a fast track and can draw a crowd.

The best thing for the track is having the big events such as the recent scag mowers superstar shootout to bring in money to the county . Maybe a second NHRA event could be located in florida now that BMP has shown its a fast track and can draw a crowd.

It’s not an NHRA national event level facility, for a number of reasons.
Love the place, but it’s not at that level to host something like that.

It’s not an NHRA national event level facility, for a number of reasons.
Love the place, but it’s not at that level to host something like that.

I sure hope it doesn’t go under. I agree, I visited the track a few summers ago when on vacation. Although the place has some big money events there along with the fastest Top Fuel Funny Car this past winter, it’s not a national event facility. Needs ton of work to the pit area to accommodate a national event. I sure hope however it stays up and running. Watching the big money races on motor mania tv during Christmas time and New Year is what helps me get through the winter.

I sure hope it doesn’t go under. I agree, I visited the track a few summers ago when on vacation. Although the place has some big money events there along with the fastest Top Fuel Funny Car this past winter, it’s not a national event facility. Needs ton of work to the pit area to accommodate a national event. I sure hope however it stays up and running. Watching the big money races on motor mania tv during Christmas time and New Year is what helps me get through the winter.

Agree. Fun to go there in the winter!

When I was a kid Orlando Speed World was out in the middle of the sticks, no longer there is housing up close now I wonder how long it will take to close it.

Being a hundred miles from Englishtown never heard the part of the kids not wanting to continue the race part of it. But every time I went there a new development was under way. I know the traffic getting in and out was a night mare with a single lane on Texas Rd.. The residents there must have had a hard time getting around when an event was held. So they must be glad it's done with the National event and the weekend racing, because they only hold spring and fall swap meets now and some go kart racing.

A friend just sold her property less than 1 mile east of the track. She had been living there for in excess of 15 years. Was considered out in the sticks. The properties were minimum 5 acrea lots which hers was one. The traffic was stead but not crazy 10 years ago but now with all the new housing going in and the infrastructure upgrades it's crazy. I was surprised to see it, never thought it reach out that far from the city. Too many people on the planet and they gotta go somewhere ????
There aren't too many people on the planet, people move around & leave old 'hoods behind, the population in the U.S.A. had slowed growth considerably until We allowed millions of invaders occupy it.
You could pave the Commiewealth of PA flat, & put every human being on the planet in it with their own 10'×10' room, if We kept it a single floor. And rest of the planet would be human free, go look at a globe or atlas, then think for a moment.
Too many egos on the other hand.....

There aren't too many people on the planet, people move around & leave old 'hoods behind, the population in the U.S.A. had slowed growth considerably until We allowed millions of invaders occupy it.
You could pave the Commiewealth of PA flat, & put every human being on the planet in it with their own 10'×10' room, if We kept it a single floor. And rest of the planet would be human free, go look at a globe or atlas, then think for a moment.
Too many egos on the other hand.....

Agreed.
Get on a plane and look at all the unsettled land you can see on pretty much any domestic flight. Lots and lots of uninhabited space. Lots.

i heard last wknd they are looking for another site east of the track away from the houses going up but will not shut down till the new track is up and running heard this from a guy who knows whats going on

-
Back