Is it gonna be a problem?

-

Evan Dutch

Reaction score
Ok, so I’m going to replace the clutch on a 318 833OD and I take the clutch housing off. Most of the bolts look like the 1st picture. But one of the bolts look like the second picture. From what I’ve seen to get a set of bolts like the first picture is gonna run me $30 or more. If I put it in like it came out will I have a problem? Or will it be fine. I’ll add a picture of the clutch kit I’ll be using if it helps any.

Thanks.

64A0EE86-A80E-4FF3-AFEB-97B579392AB6.jpeg

B8779EEC-BF92-4413-8AEF-16EACD018281.jpeg

The 5 bolts are the best bolts. Wish I had a spare I'd send it to you.

That said, you can use the one odd bolt and be fine. I wouldn't want to use more than one or two of those at most. They don't have enough shoulder on them.

The 5 bolts are the best bolts. Wish I had a spare I'd send it to you.

That said, you can use the one odd bolt and be fine. I wouldn't want to use more than one or two of those at most. They don't have enough shoulder on them.
Its unfortunate they cost what they do. And I only need 1. But hey, that’s the way it usually goes. I’ll probably put it back together and cross my fingers.

is there a weight difference that could throw the balance off. i went and got a set at oreillys. i think they were 20 bucks and tax

Its unfortunate they cost what they do. And I only need 1. But hey, that’s the way it usually goes. I’ll probably put it back together and cross my fingers.

I'd run the five you have and not look back. The balance job won't know a thing.

Hell, if you've ever balanced a disc you poop yourself if you saw how far off a disc can be and most shops don't even bother to balance the disc.

I would venture to guess that at some point in it's life, Someone lost one of the original and discovered a header bolt fits!

Inspect your flywheel and see if one of the tapped holes is counterbored and looks different than the other five. If so, that's where the odd one goes.

It turns out my clutch assembly will use the largest outer bolt pattern on my flywheel. The bolt hole accepts a 3/8 x 16 bolt which is larger than the bolts I previously had. Online I’ve found them to be 1inch long. My local hardware store has 3/8x16 grade 8 bolts but none of them have a shoulder on them until 1.5 inches long. If I use these bolts with a lock washer that is 3/32 thick would it work? How tight is the back of the flywheel to the block in terms of clearance ( will the stick out of the threads of the bolts on the engine block side of the flywheel interfere with anything). Also, is the shoulder on the factory style clutch bolts slightly larger in diameter than the threaded portion of the bolt?

Here’s the flywheel I’m using if it helps.
1045 Billet Steel Flywheel - New-440 Source

Last edited:
Clutch bolts are special. DO NOT USE hardware/ fasterner store "standard" bolts

Well, something turned out good. Gave my local speed parts store a call and they had just what I needed. Why I didn’t call sooner I don’t know. Thanks for all the input guys. I appreciate it.

-
Back