Is my 273 rear main seal going to leak?

-

pbiggs

Reaction score
I just read a tech talk article that has me wondering if I've made a mistake concerning the rear crank seal when I rebuilt my 273.

The article states the factory rope type seal needs the knurled marks on the rear crank journal to keep the seal oiled and swollen. If a rubber/neoprene seal is used, then the knurls should be removed or the seal will leak.

I used a Felpro rubber seal and there was nothing on the package to indicate the crank should modified before installing the seal. Now I wondering if the seal will leak after a couple of thousand miles.

The engine has not been started, but has been reinstalled so correcting it now is unlikely, but I was just wondering if anybody has run into this.

I put a rubber seal in a /6 with the knurls and it is fine. I did use some fine sand paper and rubbed it around and around the knurled area to knock down any sharp edges on the individual knurls just to help.

I used a Felpro rubber seal and there was nothing on the package to indicate the crank should modified before installing the seal. Now I wondering if the seal will leak after a couple of thousand miles.

The engine has not been started, but has been reinstalled so correcting it now is unlikely, but I was just wondering if anybody has run into this.

No, you should be fine. Did it all the time.

Did thebsame thing on my 65 273. No leaks at all. My 340 was the same way no leaks yer fine providing it was installed correctly.

I appreciate all the responses. I feel confident the seal was installed correctly, so here's hoping for a leak-free engine. Time and miles will tell the tale.
Thanks

It should be fine.

I've run the rubber rear main seals for years and put over 200,000 k miles on them...

But eventually will start to leak when it gets high miles on it as the knife edge of the rubber seal starts to wear...

-
Back