Is There a Gardener in the House?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Frustrating things happening in the garden this Spring. First off, the recently planted Guava from the nursery had two stalks, one just shriveled up for no good reason (see photo one-shriveled stalk on the left, still healthy looking stalk on the right).

Secondly, after watering two new plants recently purchased from the nursery on the same day and keeping them both in the shade for a week, and watering them on the same schedule, one of them had all the leaves curl up overnight (low temps here are in the 60's, highs about 85). They are not planted in the ground yet, but the roots are in that black plastic stuff with some holes in the bottom. I believe these two new additions are guava and soursop (but not positive) (photo two: comparison of two plants; photo three: closed-up of curled leaf plant; photo four: close-up of still healthy looking plant).

As for the first photo, I don't see any signs in the yard of any animals tunneling/burrowing. Any guesses on to what's going on here? Thank you.

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg

IMG_1417.jpg

A plant that large in such a small pot isn't good. Those are surely root bound. Most everything needs as much growth under the ground as above the ground. Get them in the ground and prune them back to about nothing and they will thrive. If you ever get to Falls Park in downtown Greenville SC, Go to the far end of the foot bridge and have a look at the bank on far side of the road cut through there. The exposed roots of a giant Oak tree is a great example of equal growth above and below the surface.

Last edited:
My .02 cents, the wilted plant looks like it needs some water.
In our county if you take a soil sample to the county Agricultural Center, they will test it for free and tell you what what is deficient, (magnesium, potash, nitrogen), and what is excessive, PH, for example.
That would be a great place to start.

Did you happen to water them from your domestic water source, and do you have a water softener that is injecting salt into your water stream? Sometimes newly transplanted stuff can be very susceptible to high salt content. @Brooks James gave some great advice. PH is a key component for soil health and different plants require different levels to thrive. The micro ingredients, magnesium copper etc also inhibit or amplify the plants ability to absorb nutrients From the soil. Once you know what your soil is doing the rest is easy!

This is a desert area close to the sea, so I suppose it would be a good idea to test both the soil and the city (well) water. Some plants thrive (usually native) and others have constant setbacks here.

Plants under stress will un-systemically give up on part of its vegetation to protect the rest of the plant.
Curling leaves usually mean insect or chemical damage. We are just about as far apart as garden zoning can be so I offer little help.

My girlfriend loves working in the yard. I would rather stick a red -hot fork in my eye. She has a house full of potted plants, along with another bunch on the back porch. She's gonna be gone for a week or so, and i gotta take care of em.

NOT looking forward to it.

My girlfriend loves working in the yard. I would rather stick a red -hot fork in my eye. She has a house full of potted plants, along with another bunch on the back porch. She's gonna be gone for a week or so, and i gotta take care of em.

NOT looking forward to it.
Hire a local neighbor kid and pay them to vacuum as well! I used to do that when wife would travel. I would sit in the shop and drink beer with her Dad while she watered plants and vacuumed! Win win!

-
Back