is there a lft and rt backing plate ?

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
Im rebuilding my brakes and cant remember if the backing plates are interchangable side to side....
I know the cylinders and shoes are lft and right etc....
1500842515804.jpg

When the E Brake cable comes in from the left when looking at the brakes, that is the left side

look at the holes punched in them, if they are symmetrical about the vertical centerline, they are probably interchangeable (for the front, only). You can look for part numbers to confirm. there is no left and right for shoes, just front and back, longer shoe goes to the rear.

I am doing both but just happen to be starting with the fronts....

Turns out they are specific to the spindle bolt pattern and will not interchange.... Glad I checked this before loading them backwards....
Thanks

Did I miss anything? Other than the cylinder forks.... Old ones got trashed trying to get drums off and I assumed new cylinders would come with new ones....
I was wrong

Did I miss anything? Other than the cylinder forks.... Old ones got trashed trying to get drums off and I assumed new cylinders would come with new ones....
I was wrong
They will probably be fun to install with all those springs connected.

it's hard to tell from pics, but I usually grease the pads on the backing plate, where the shoe frame rubs. I also grease the adjuster cable and guide. I either grease or oil the threads of adjuster assembly, too.

I greased all of the above. And I realize I will need to disassemble but this was kind of a reorientation to drum brake rebuild.
Just prepping things for assembly once I get the body ready.

In my 1964 & 65 w/ 9" and 10" drums, resp., the front backing plates were different PN's. We don't know what year your vehicle is.

Its a 69 340 Swinger. There were no PNs on them. I figured it out....

-
Back