Is There A Rust Preventative Coating?

-

SpeedThrills

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to work on the body of my 71 Duster, cloned from a 74 Dart Sport. I have a pair of 72 Duster doors. They have surface rust on the insides, at the bottom. What can be applied in there to put the rust to "sleep"?
I'm thinking it could be used in several places.

Had good luck with Rust-Oleum's rust reformer and/or the SEM Rust Mort. Still better to remove the rust then seal and paint it... but if you can't reach it to do that, it's the next best thing.

Rust doesn't sleep for long. It will continue to rust. If you want to stop the rust, it needs to be removed and then the metal painted/coated with no moisture. Bare metal will rust.

I'm starting to work on the body of my 71 Duster, cloned from a 74 Dart Sport. I have a pair of 72 Duster doors. They have surface rust on the insides, at the bottom. What can be applied in there to put the rust to "sleep"?
I'm thinking it could be used in several places.

The Eastwood rust encapsulator I have been using seems to stop it from progressing.
Now when the rest of the car returns to dust there will be some nice seams laying in it.:D

Once I found this stuff I'll never use anything ever again. All I do is scrape or rub off any flaking rust (optional) and paint the stuff onto the surface. It actually works better if it has a rough surface (rusty) to attach to. I live in a high humidity (99 perecent) high heat (90s year round) environment just a few blocks from the salty ocean. I've used this stuff on my Barracuda, the backside of the bumpers and numerous items outside the house. i even used it to paint the iron bars (gates) that I built for my back porch (security gates). These gates were made of rusty rebar. They have been outside in the highly corrosive environment for the last 20 years and still have no rust anywhere. It's a rubber type coating that applies very easy and goes a long, long way!!:

DSC07684.JPG

This is the 3rd can that I've bought in 20 years because it goes a long way. I recommend two coats. I'll never use anything else!!!
Treblig

Once I found this stuff I'll never use anything ever again. All I do is scrape or rub off any flaking rust (optional) and paint the stuff onto the surface. It actually works better if it has a rough surface (rusty) to attach to. I live in a high humidity (99 perecent) high heat (90s year round) environment just a few blocks from the salty ocean. I've used this stuff on my Barracuda, the backside of the bumpers and numerous items outside the house. i even used it to paint the iron bars (gates) that I built for my back porch (security gates). These gates were made of rusty rebar. They have been outside in the highly corrosive environment for the last 20 years and still have no rust anywhere. It's a rubber type coating that applies very easy and goes a long, long way!!:

View attachment 1715095847

This is the 3rd can that I've bought in 20 years because it goes a long way. I recommend two coats. I'll never use anything else!!!
Treblig
Treblig is that product brush on or spray on? Thanks

It's brush on but I guess you could spray it on. It would be hell cleaning the spray equipment after application....it's some tuff stuff but isn't real thick like bedliner. I like using a brush because you can get into all the tight spaces in the frame without any over spray or taping. I also tape a brush to a long stick to get into hard to reach places (inside the doors, etc). I buy the box of 1 inch throw away brushes from Harbor Freight because the brush can't be reused one the stuff dries. I also use gloves because if it gets on your skin it leaves a stain that lasts for a few days.
I would highly recommend this product based on how it has performed over many, many years. It's a little expensive but as I found...one can lasts a long time (lots of coverage). Keep the can tightly closed so the stuff doesn't dry out (it does dry quickly).
If you lend it out you'll never get it back....had one friend borrow the can and he liked it so much I had a hard time getting it back. I finally told him to buy his own can and he said, " But it's expensive!!".. No Duhhh!!!

Just remember don't clean down to bare metal, leave some rust behind so it has something to stick to. It bonds to the rust and seals out all moisture basically forever.
treblig

It's brush on but I guess you could spray it on. It would be hell cleaning the spray equipment after application....it's some tuff stuff but isn't real thick like bedliner. I like using a brush because you can get into all the tight spaces in the frame without any over spray or taping. I also tape a brush to a long stick to get into hard to reach places (inside the doors, etc). I buy the box of 1 inch throw away brushes from Harbor Freight because the brush can't be reused one the stuff dries. I also use gloves because if it gets on your skin it leaves a stain that lasts for a few days.
I would highly recommend this product based on how it has performed over many, many years. It's a little expensive but as I found...one can lasts a long time (lots of coverage). Keep the can tightly closed so the stuff doesn't dry out (it does dry quickly).
If you lend it out you'll never get it back....had one friend borrow the can and he liked it so much I had a hard time getting it back. I finally told him to buy his own can and he said, " But it's expensive!!".. No Duhhh!!!

Just remember don't clean down to bare metal, leave some rust behind so it has something to stick to. It bonds to the rust and seals out all moisture basically forever.
treblig
Thank-you very much for the reply:thankyou::thankyou:

-
Back