Is there a true plug-n-play setup for a 5.7 with FI yet?

-
I am simply going to respond to a couple of points that you made above that are particularly problematic.

1) Flat out wrong. The absolute cheapest method to transplant a Gen III Hemi into classic Mopar is to Carb it. The second cheapest is MS2, the Third Cheapest is MS 3. Your solution isn't much cheaper than the FAST setup.

Using your own website it becomes clear that your system isn't cheaper.

http://www.modernmuscleperformance....nagment_kit_for_Gen_3_Hemi_p/4-dbw-kitman.htm

According to your own advertisement the cost for a complete kit, plug and play is $2749.00 Then if you read the advertisement carefully you recommend a Diablo Tuner for an additional $400.00 to $600.00.

The combined price above makes your system MORE expensive than the FAST setup.

4) Yes, there are lots of people familiar to tuning Gen III hemi's but am I able to create a custom tune with the Diablo hand-held tuner? The answer is no. I am dependent upon custom tunes provided by black box artists. To me this is the greatest weakness of the Diablo solution. I want to be able to sit at a laptop and do my own analysis of my tune. Right now that simply isn't possible with the Diablo. If and its a big IF, HP Tuners ever gets their stuff together and offers a laptop tuning solution than this might be moot.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I disagree with #1 regarding cost. I modified the factory harness and I am using the stock PCM. Everything came from a 05 truck. No cost for a carb, intake, or controller. I had a lot of time in going through the harness and adding fuses and relays to the right circuits, but very little monetary cost. I also modified the fuel pump to work in my tank keeping that cost down as well.

Right now you can get a Diablo Predator u7137 tuner for $239.50 from Summit. It does allow some customization of some parameters within the tune such as rev limits. There are also different tunes based on fuel selection. I didn't need the predator to get everything running and driving, but I bought one to change rev limits and get a performance tune for high octane fuel. I will likely eventually get a custom tune to better match my setup with headers, CAI and no rear O2 sensors.

It's the plugs that kill you. It is relatively easy to find many dealers online for the various connectors used on GM vehicles. Finding Mopar connectors? Much more difficult. They may be out there, but I haven't found them.

If you find a reliable source for Mopar Connectors please provide a link, I plan to re-use the connectors for my MS3 harness, but I'd prefer not to splice and buy new connectors instead.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

What about this?:

http://connectors.dcctools.com/home.htm

That allows you to order replacement harnesses but doesn't allow you to order the individual plugs, or they allow you to order pigtails. I would really like to avoid splices.

In my view, every splice is a potential point of failure.

Though it looks like quite a few splices are in my future.

Thanks for the link though.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I think the cheapest way to get a 5.7 hemi installed and running is what I did, use the factory EFI. Almost plug and play, and for someone who's not looking for Max Power, just wanting the benefits of EFI, this is the way to go.

Complete Salvage yard engine, This is the key to not getting nickeled and dimed on EFI parts. (Mine was a 2007 Ram 11K mile pull out with auto trans, transfer case, harness and computer- delivered for $1200)

Parts to get it up and running:
Hotwireauto harness - $985 (almost as much as I paid for the engine/transmission)
Used 05 Ram 2500 w/ manual transmission computer - $195
Oil sending unit - $18
Used Drive by Wire pedal - $40

Total: $1238

All the other parts like:
Engine
Headers
Mounts
Fuel pump
Fuel lines
Oil pan
TKO transmission
Clutch
flywheel
Bell housing
Etc……

I would have had to buy anyway if I used a carb setup.

Carb would have cost at least $1843

Mod man intake and carb: $1148
MSD Ignition box $695

Just my 2 cents.

I agree 100%, well put.

I think the cheapest way to get a 5.7 hemi installed and running is what I did, use the factory EFI. Almost plug and play, and for someone who's not looking for Max Power, just wanting the benefits of EFI, this is the way to go.

Complete Salvage yard engine, This is the key to not getting nickeled and dimed on EFI parts. (Mine was a 2007 Ram 11K mile pull out with auto trans, transfer case, harness and computer- delivered for $1200)

Parts to get it up and running:
Hotwireauto harness - $985 (almost as much as I paid for the engine/transmission)
Used 05 Ram 2500 w/ manual transmission computer - $195
Oil sending unit - $18
Used Drive by Wire pedal - $40

Total: $1238

All the other parts like:
Engine
Headers
Mounts
Fuel pump
Fuel lines
Oil pan
TKO transmission
Clutch
flywheel
Bell housing
Etc……

I would have had to buy anyway if I used a carb setup.

Carb would have cost at least $1843

Mod man intake and carb: $1148
MSD Ignition box $695

Just my 2 cents.

Mine isn't going to be stock but I am gonna use that same approach. Ecm will get flashed and then tune with Diablo after several emails from MM. I plan to use a cam that is far from ordinary.

-
Back