Is there an aluminum case posi unit made for the 742?

-

Bad Shrimp

Reaction score
Is there an aluminum case posi unit made for the 8 3/4 rear? Seen them for Chevy's and Fords but havent stumbled across any Mopar action....Just wondering.

Thanks in advance,

Bad Shrimp

http://www.1speedway.com/Floater_Rear_Ends.htm

Scroll down til you hit Mod-Lite or Mini Stock, both I have been told can be done up just like a 8 3/4 and the Mod-Lite weighs 76lbs without chunk, when I checked, a Dana 60 is about 150lbs heavier for the housing. I could be wrong though. The Mini stock they said weighed a little heavier but not by much at all. Only downside is the pricing, about the cost of a fully done up Moser 60...for just a housing...

Only thing I have found so far besides Moser's unit which only loses about 15-20lbs or so. But only been looking for a few hours here and there. As far as just the center, haven't found that in aluminum casing yet...I am still looking though.

They do make the aluminum cases for the 8 3/4 rears. If I remember correctly, the are all aftermarket, but I don't recall any names. I've see a couple over the last year or so on Ebay.

Bill S.

That's a lotta money just to shed 11 pounds.

Weights not the real issue. Pinion deflection in high horse apps are what trashes rear gears. These are stronger where it counts

Weights not the real issue. Pinion deflection in high horse apps are what trashes rear gears. These are stronger where it counts

Or ring gear deflection due to the case spreading. When you apply force to the ring gear from the pinion gear it tries to push it away. The 742 case has the biggest rear bearing of most any passenger type rear so it's good in that area. The bearing caps and case are weak in that area though and the aluminum carrier addresses this rather nicely.

attachment.php

Is there no problem with gear oil migrating through the bolt tubes and leaking out of the front side? It's a fine looking piece for sure. Since it's aluminum, I wasn't thinking about the strength factor, but from all of the ribs and the huge bearing caps, no doubt it is stronger than a stock piece.

Is there no problem with gear oil migrating through the bolt tubes and leaking out of the front side? It's a fine looking piece for sure. Since it's aluminum, I wasn't thinking about the strength factor, but from all of the ribs and the huge bearing caps, no doubt it is stronger than a stock piece.

Let's hope not, that would be a big problem. Those are through bolts for the caps.

-
Back