Is there diferences between aluminum and cast iron water pumps?

-

fuzzman

Reaction score
I have been in contact with edelbrock on the issue with the alternator bracket and they suggested to use an after market bracket that year one sells and when you look it up it mentions for use with aluminum water pump so, the gest of the problem is when you use this bracket you are sticking the alternator out at least a 1/4 in. which in turn throws the rest of the pulleys out of whack. so my question is would using a billit set of pulleys with the aluminum water pump solve this issue? When I say billit pulleys I mean like the small block double pulley for the water pump and a triple pulley for the vibration damper or crack pulley. Any body got any ideas? I'm trying to figure a way for all these pulleys to be in line? This is all caused from the set of heads sticking out to far.

Pat Faley
1967 Barracuda notch back
Peoria IL

The water inlet on the aluminum water pump is on the other side. It won't work with your radiator without some rerouting of the lower hose, if possible.

casat iron is for 67 and earlier i believe and the outlet is on the drivers side,aluminum is on the passenger side and comes in high flow and standard,I have had overheating problems with the high flow but slowed down the water with the standard and problem solved.

I was able to use 70 an up alt brackets but I simce went back to the older style.

Attachments

• mopar 001.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 158
The cast iron piece either has one bolt hole missing, or an extra bolt hole from aluminum....I cannot remember which. They will interchange, but there is that difference in the number of attaching bolts.

I was able to use 70 an up alt brackets but I simce went back to the older style.

What your Denso alternator application or designation (109 mm, 131mm, etc)??

What amps is it rated at?

-
Back