Is this 440 block worth going any further with?

-

73 408 Duster

Reaction score
Hello,

Well, I had some bad news today. I took my $80.00 1976 440 Craigslist block already bored to .020" over when I got it, to the shop last week for machine work in anticipation of boring it out to .060" over for a 512 440 Source kit build. They contacted me today and told me that they cleaned / baked the block, it passed magnaflux inspection, and that they rough bored the worst of the eight holes to .050" over and it still has rust pitting on the walls where standing water from storage corroded it. I told them to stop the work and paid the machinist another $60.00 for his services and took my new $140.00 boat anchor home while I decide what to do next.

So the questions I have for all of you is how big of deal is this minor pitting and spotting, should I just look for a new block to start with, or should I spend the money on rough boring the rest of the seven holes to .050" (a gamble at best, approx. $25.00 a hole) and sleeve the damaged ones (approx. $100.00 a hole)? He said the leftover rust pits probably go down another .020" but I shouldn't go past the advisable .060" on a 440 block. I have included pictures for review.

Thanks,
Brandon

Attachments

• Block 1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 443
  • Block 2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 423
  • Block 3.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 437
  • Block 4.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 434
  • Block 5.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 430
  • Block 6.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 448
Kind of figured this was going to be the general consensus. I guess I could make a nice 440 block coffee table for the garage. Back on the hunt for a good block, maybe a 400 for a 451 stroker or...hmm...

Thanks again,
Brandon

if it can be fixed i would just have them fix it.ounce the rust is dead it won't come back. i have a little surface on of my walls my 440 when i had it rebuilt. my machine shop told we killed the rust.even tho it kinda has some spotting.they bored mine 30 over.have no problems.

If it was going to be in a trailer resto or mild mannered put-about car I'd say do it. but to make big power you have to have stable walls with good ring seal. That's not what you'll have with that block when you're done. It's not "junk", but for what you want to do, I'd find something else.

Sleeve the ***** and worry about important things.

Is it only the one hole? I'd sleeve it if so.

If the other holes are not capable of going .030, then I'd look at finding another block.

Back in business, I think. I spent part of the weekend rolling around in the dirt at the local wrecking yard pulling a virgin 72' 400/HP short block out of a bright pink Sports Fury. Hopefully I have better luck at the machine shop than the last time. I think I am still going to do a 512 only this time base it off of the 400 block.

Thanks,
Brandon

Why are you boring to the max on this build ? What happens if you need to fix something and bore again ??? I would only bore to the minimum required ... AFTER a sonic check ...

Why? Because I can, blocks are cheap and easy to find, just kidding. To make a 512 out of this block will only require me to go .035", over bore yielding a 4.375" bore, it should still leave plenty of meat in the cylinder walls for future repairs if needed. A 4.250" stroke and 6.535" rod is how I will get to a 512. Sonic check is a given.

Brandon

-
Back