Is This 452 Head Ruined?

-

domdart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just tore down an old 440. One of the rocker arm supports is broken. Is this head fixable or should I be looking for a replacement?

IMG_0773.JPG

IMG_0774.JPG

I just tore down an old 440. One of the rocker arm supports is broken. Is this head fixable or should I be looking for a replacement?

View attachment 1716231028

View attachment 1716231029
No it's not ruined. You can do a couple things here.. like... you can tap it , the lower portion, and run a stud on that stand by then drilling out the upper threads of the broken part , you will use a nut on that stand from there out.

No it's not ruined. You can do a couple things here.. like... you can tap it , the lower portion, and run a stud on that stand by then drilling out the upper threads of the broken part , you will use a nut on that stand from there out.
That would fix it, but I would also braze it as well. You have to be carful if you drill it deeper, you may hit the water jacket.

You can see its right above the heat riser as it goes into the intake. You may not have enough meat to hold a stud.

I wouldn’t spend any time or money fixing a broken 452 head that doesn’t already have a bunch of time/money invested in it.
It’s not a rare piece, and there are other number heads that can be substituted for it.
346/902/975, or even 906’s
And of course……another 452

Junk. 452 heads are basically worthless so why bother fixing one? 452 heads won't even bring $25 each at a swap meet around here. I ended up tossing a stack of them last time I moved.

You'd end up with so much in it fixing it "right" that you could replace it with an aluminum head.

40 years ago we fixed stuff like that, not anymore. Here is a set of heads that I built for a low deck 426 back in the 90's. It was a cool engine at the time but it would suck compared to a set of Trick Flow heads these days.

mw.jpg

That 452 head can't be fixed with a drill press. The head would need to go in a vertical mill to have the broken part milled off. There isn't any cheap way to fix it since welding cast iron is a pain and building custom rocker stands is a pain. The head is junk. The OP is free to call around to all the machine shops in his local area and they'll all tell him the head is worthless junk. He can call every machine shop in his home state or however far he wants to travel and they'll all tell him the head is junk.

If you do fix it, it will always be on your mind every time you turn the key. Trust me I've been there.

That 452 head can't be fixed with a drill press. The head would need to go in a vertical mill to have the broken part milled off. There isn't any cheap way to fix it since welding cast iron is a pain and building custom rocker stands is a pain. The head is junk. The OP is free to call around to all the machine shops in his local area and they'll all tell him the head is worthless junk. He can call every machine shop in his home state or however far he wants to travel and they'll all tell him the head is junk.
I would Mount that on my 1960s Craftsman that has a an adjustable tilt swivel table and not Mill a damn thing I would simply line the bit up with the existing piece after I had it mounted and dial it close enough to get a ******* stud in it LOL

Pretty soon this threads going to be called ways to make something over complicated LOL

If you're offended by my sarcasm, so be it.

This guy could have a set of induction hard and shafts on there that are 3/8 thick wall and not even need the center stand clamp force with the kind of spring he'll probably use.

What's this for?
I'm doubting these heads will be used for any kind of serious effort so replacing them is washy

I agree with the points made but...

He asked if the head was fixable, it is... and it's not rocket science or expensive.

Lol
I don't disagree. I also agree, 30 years ago, I'd fix heck out of it. Today "I" still might because I caint buy aluminum heads with my good looks. lol

I get a kick out of every post that says factory heads are junk, my labor and a few good parts they will make 600 horsepower plus. Any idiot can order some Chinese knockoff heads that still need to be gone through and still not make good power.

I will probably get a replacement. It will give me something to look for at Carlisle. Thanks for all the advice.

welding with a coat hanger - Search Videos This isn't the type of coat hanger I would use on that cast but if you want find the old bronze colored coat hanger and go to town. Grind a gap all the way around for the filler and put the bolt in it before you weld to keep your alignment. It's great experience and you can do it without unbolting the head.

Last edited:
There is a set of heads in the for sale section here for $100.
Not mine, but just saying.

welding with a coat hanger - Search Videos This isn't the type of coat hanger I would use on that cast but if you want find the old bronze colored coat hanger and go to town. Grind a gap all the way around for the filler and put the bolt in it before you weld to keep your alignment. It's great experience and you can do it without unbolting the head.
:rolleyes:

-
Back