Is this '72 Duster 340 worth the price

-

eagleone1983

Reaction score
Found this car and the seller is firm at $13,800. Trying to get this for my wife as a present, she really likes the Dusters and Demons. Is it worth it or should I keep looking. I'd really like to get one that's pretty much finished since I'm already working on a Roadrunner

Attachments

• 22485108.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 512
  • 22485116.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 512
  • 22485128.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 492
  • 22485138.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 501
  • 22485210.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 514
  • 22489355.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 517
It's a beautiful car for sure. May be some wiggle room on the price given the economy.

didn't 72 340's have a sharks tooth grille? This might be a clone or at least the wrong grille

Still a very nice car

If there is no rust I would say it's worth it. I always look at the foundation. Really, worth is in the buyer and seller, (with in reason of coarse), if you are happy with it then it's worth it. I have more than that in mine and it looks similar. mine has a little more performance. JMO! good luck!

no, 340 cars from 72 did not have the s.t grille. only the twister had it!.

for the money, that car looks like a steal, and in no way could you build that clean of a car for close to that price. if i had money to throw, i would be throwing it right at the owner of that fine specimen.lol

You sure she wont get tired of the four speed? I love mine but sometimes it would be nice to just put it in drive and cruise. If it's solid, I would say they are pretty close on price.

I looked for my Dart for years trying to find one to fit my Set Budget. When I found the "One" I knew it. It was less than my Max spending amount and I knew I could make $$ profit on it If I sold it. My point is that I researched and hunted for years and looked at so many cars that I had no doubt as to the Value of what I bought. If You are not sure then maybe This isn't the one. Sleep on it and check similar cars and prices for a few days. JMO and Good luck. Sincerely!

for the money, that car looks like a steal, and in no way could you build that clean of a car for close to that price. if i had money to throw, i would be throwing it right at the owner of that fine specimen.lol
72's 340 cars do have the shark tooth grilles. And by the way the seats in that car are the wrong year and the steering wheel.

That would make one cool chick car. You sure that you can stand the competition from all the young guys who will see her in the car and want to pick her up for the ride?

Isn't that a '70? I know in '70 they didn't have shark tooth grills and that air cleaner is a '70 only piece. Those seats also look like a '70. I can't tell if it has a rally dash. '70 got them and '72 didn't.

ok, i am thinking about the rally dash!. 72 did not have the rally instument cluster and dash

Other than a few incorrect parts it looks like a good car.

If you think its worth 13k thats all that matters.

Good luck

That is a good looking car. FWIW I looked at a 72 a week or so ago and it was nowhere near as clean as that car, not even close, and they wanted 15K for it. And it should have the ST grille. Maybe you can use that as a small bargaining chip.

I'd agree, looks like a very good deal to me.

I emailed that guy a few weeks ago to see if he would be interested in trading for my 71 Demon 340. I don't remember what exactly he said, but it was something like he was downsizing and didn't need another car. It's a nice looking car.

Did ALL 72 340 Dusters come with sharktooth grilles, or was it an option, like the scoops, etc?

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I'm getting conflicting info on the right or wrong grille. But from what I'm hearing for sure the seats, steering wheel, and air cleaner are not correct. All of which is not a big deal to me, I'm not really the numbers matching type of person although I do appriciate the time and effort it takes to make that happen. Mostly I care about the engine being numbers to the car so I'll definitely be looking at that. Like I said all my knowledge is in B bodies and I'm just starting at learning about the As. My wife won't get tired of the 4 speed although she doesn't drive stick that well. If all else fails the Roadrunner is auto

Is it even a real H code car?
Are those 70-71 fenders on it? Looks like the recessed marker.
Air cleaner is a 70-71 model ($$), 72 has a single snorkel.
Engine should be blue from factory, though I prefer orange.

Lots wrong with it from an originality standpoint.

Pretty strong money for that car IMO.

A lot of the value depends on how it drives, how it shifts, how does it steer and brake, suspension in good shape, how does the paint and interior look in real life? Is it a totally sorted out car or does it need attention here and there?

I would say it looks like its worth it, but bring up all the "incorrect" originalities to the seller to let him know you know yer $hit....then offer him $12500(if the #'s match and its a 340 car)

-
Back