is this a A-518?

-

mtandrews

beware the Ides of March
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
this is a follow up to my earlier thread...
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=146675

I just came from Pick-N-Pull and found one(!) 1995 Ram with a V-8 in it. Out of the gaggle of trucks out there only one had a trans still in it. These are the pics I took...

View attachment trans1.jpg

View attachment trans2.jpg

View attachment trans3.jpg

View attachment trans4.jpg

View attachment trans5.jpg

View attachment trans7.jpg

View attachment trans11.jpg

View attachment trans13.jpg

View attachment trans12.jpg

View attachment trans14.jpg

Yea should be a 46RH ( A-518 ). My 1995 ZJ has the 46RH so should that one.

I guess the plug on the tailhousing is for the speedo, so in hindsight I guess this trans is out of range because I need my speedo and mine on my pickup is the regular cable type...

Yep it's a 518 and you might be able to swap out the new style speedo adapter for your old style. It's easy to pop out and see if it's the same internal setup as the old style.

1995 Ram would have a 46RH...I believe the 46RE started in 1996

Yep it's a 518 and you might be able to swap out the new style speedo adapter for your old style. It's easy to pop out and see if it's the same internal setup as the old style.
what should I look for when I pull the adapter out? Will it have the helical gear in it like "standard" speedo drives?

what should I look for when I pull the adapter out? Will it have the helical gear in it like "standard" speedo drives?

It should/could. I've only worked on earlier 518's and they had the helical gear just like a regular 727.

Even if it has some sort of electric eye type of reader on it all may not be lost yet. Look into the housing and see if the output shaft is cut for the helical gear and see if yours from your old trans. will fit in it. A lot of times on the early units they modified them for electronics use but left the old splines so you could revert to the old style parts.

went back and got it, $154.39 with a $30 core. I told them they need to update their price board as it says $93.50. They sez its more because its a truck trans and an OD, which is cool but PUT IT ON THE FRIGGIN' BOARD!!! Gonna go to bulkparts and get a "kit"...

fishy68, I'm gonna pull the deal out and take a pic and put it here...

went back and got it, $154.39 with a $30 core. I told them they need to update their price board as it says $93.50. They sez its more because its a truck trans and an OD, which is cool but PUT IT ON THE FRIGGIN' BOARD!!! Gonna go to bulkparts and get a "kit"...

fishy68, I'm gonna pull the deal out and take a pic and put it here...

OK. The pic should help and measure the O.D. of the adapter housing the speedo pinion goes in and let me know what it is and I'll measure one I have and see if their the same O.D.

Bulkpart's kits are pretty basic. You almost always have to add all the extras on. such as the thrust washers, bushing kit, sprague rollers. Sometimes the kits only come with one band too so you have to add the other one on. call them and ask for Mike. He knows Mopars and their kits well enough to tell you everything you might need.

BTW: I'd suggest tearing it down before you order parts. You never know what you get with a junkyard trans.

My guess is it'll swap right over. Just find a speedo adapter and pinion gear for a 727 and you should be good to go.

BTW: from the looks of that filter I'd say it's due for a complete rebuild.

ya think! :laughing:

When I first spotted the trans in the truck it was all together, I come back 3 days later and the pan was gone. The dirt on it is from me sitting it on a dirty old door panel to slide it from under the truck. The plan is a kit from Bulkparts or equivalent. It's going into the pickup that its sitting in the back of. So I'm guessing the speedo drive out of the 727 in the truck should work in the 518?

ya think! :laughing:

It's a good possibility :laughing:

When I first spotted the trans in the truck it was all together, I come back 3 days later and the pan was gone. The dirt on it is from me sitting it on a dirty old door panel to slide it from under the truck. The plan is a kit from Bulkparts or equivalent. It's going into the pickup that its sitting in the back of. So I'm guessing the speedo drive out of the 727 in the truck should work in the 518?

That's the way it goes with JY stuff. Yep, the speedo parts from the 727 should fit right in if I'm not mistaken. Sure looks the same inside.

hopefully you don't need any hard parts but if you do a good place to find them is www.wittrans.com

-
Back