Is This a Factory Torque Strap?

-

mguner

How many is too many?
Reaction score
While taking the engine and tranny out of the 69 Fury I found this interesting feature. The car had been modified for oil field service which included a skid plate up front and tow loops on both rear corners. I sure wish my 68 Satellite in school had this! It would have saved a fan shroud for sure!

strap-2.jpg

strap-1.jpg

strap-3.jpg

Be surprised how strong braided wire rope is! That chunk might be good for 1000+ lb's.

If my motor is strong enough to break a mount, there is no way that little cable is going to stop it. Unusual, though. I have not seen that before.

my 69 imperial lebaron had one as well as my 70 chrysler 300. i broke a motor mount in the 69 one time and that thing kept my engine from doing damage to the shroud etc etc

...............Yes, that is a factory torque strap. it works with the mount, not independently......68-69 had them......kim............

I think that cable looks to be about the same gauge used in a come a long type winch. It's the grade of cable that matter's. Knowinf mopar thats probably dirt cheap,lol.. Air craft grade cable would hold several thousand pounds.

That thing reminds me of the old "Ralph Nader Chivvy fix" remember those? In the early '70's there was a big campaign about throttles sticking open on Chivvies because the driver side mount broke. Chivvies had mechanical linkage throttles and not cables, so the engine would lift up and jam the throttle open.

As is usual in such cases, NOBODY seems to be smart enough to just reach up and turn off the key!!!

(!!!OMG!! The gas pedal stuck on my 40HP 283 2bbll!!!! WTF do I dooooo!!!!???? I CAN'T hit the brakes!!! I CAN'T steer with the wheel!!! I CAN'T just stomp down really hard on the big pedal on the floor!!! AND I CAN'T shut off the KEY!!! The SKY is falling!!! The SKY is falling!!!)

Thanks guys! I thought it looked a little to slick to be a "Bubba" fix. I'm surprized I haven't encountered one before now with as many B and C bodies I've had over the years. It does look like it would get tight before a soft rubber mount would break but an old dry one might well pull apart before then as mentioned above.

-
Back