is this a magnum engine? need to know by tomorrow noon.

-

71dustar

Reaction score
went to local junk yard today (kinda mad that i went so late since i got there hour before closing and it was 50% off today) and found a 1995 dodge ram pickup with a 5.9l engine. i just want to confirm that it is one and is there any way to tell by looking at the engine and not the fender tag and stickers?

also the tranny that comes with these trucks isn't a 727 or 904 correct? ill have to search for one of those off an older vehicle?

IMG00042.jpg

IMG00043.jpg

yeah thats a magnum 360 well at least going by the emissions tag its a 360 as long as no one changed the motor out at some time how much art they wanting for it good luck Justin Ps you can look at the casting numbers on the side of the block i believe they are still similar to the la engines on the side of the block there will be a casting number followed by the engine displacement or the actual numbers are on the front of the block just below the head on the drivers side again all that info is from the la engines im just assuming the magnums are the same if not please correct me someone

well it would've been $100 if i got it today but tomorrow it'll be $200. i still have to see if it turns over.(what size socket do i need to turn the crank?) i hoping it does because the only other magnum engine was in a front end collision where the motor was knock back off the motor mounts and some parts broken off the motor.

360 magnums started in 93 so anything 93 or newer is a magnum. You can also tell by the "beer keg" intake they used.

Takes a 1-3/16 socket for the crank bolt.

ya just looked back in a book i bought about stroking mopar engines and it tells the difference in there and easy way is the valve cover.

is there another way to crank the engine over without using a wrench?

is there another way to crank the engine over without using a wrench?

Not without crawling under it and taking off the starter and access cover and using a prybar on the ring gear.

Just noticed we all missed a question on the first post. The transmission used is a A518. It's basically a 727 with OD.

Not without crawling under it and taking off the starter and access cover and using a prybar on the ring gear.

Just noticed we all missed a question on the first post. The transmission used is a A518. It's basically a 727 with OD.

So I am guessing you can not jump straight to the starter and let the starter spin it.:profilel:

What year did they start using the 46RE's?? & I thought the A518 was basically a 904 w/overdrive??

yeah memikes right you could probably take a known good battery and jump the starter and see if it turns over if it still doesnt turn over dont count it out though it may just be a bad starter at that point but if its got a good starter it should still turn the motor over and that would be simpler for you great suggestion memike by the way 71dustar make sure the battery you use that you know its a good battery it may save a lot of headaches. Good Luck Justin

I use-to could read them emission tags all the way, but im starting to forget alot.

TWC: two way cat
EGR: exhaust gas return
SFI: sequential fuel injection
Ho2S: heated o2 sensors
OBDI certified: on board diagnostics (type 1)

Thats deff. a magnum motor. dont look too bad from your pics, as long as it dosent have a rod hanging out of the bottom! If your going to put it in a car be sure to go with a different intake manafold. The kegger intake is worthless in a car!

What year did they start using the 46RE's?? & I thought the A518 was basically a 904 w/overdrive??

A500 was based on the 904, A518 was based on the 727. I don't remember the exact year they switched to the fully electronic (becoming the 46RE), but I believe it was around 1992. They also made 2 versions of the A500, the 42RE and 44RE. 42's were found behind the V6 and 44's were found behind 318's in the Dakota's and possibly some Rams.

It was in 96 that they switched over to the fully electronic trans. also known as a 46re. In 95 it was still a A518 aka 46rh.

I didn't mention the battery because around here they won't let you do that because of safety concerns. Kinda screwed up if you ask me though because how can you tell if the engine is any good? Thought maybe it was the same there.

There is alot of confusion over the transmissions cause Mopar called the same trans. by 2 different names. Here's the run down

An A500 is also a 42rh through 95 (or 44rh if it is the HD model) then when they went fully electronic I think they dropped the A500 and just called it a 42re.

An A518 is also known as a 46rh through 95 then in 96 it became a 46re.

The 42-44-46 numbers used are the torque handling capacity/rating.

well it took me 2.5 hours to pull the engine yesterday in the heat. hardest part was pulling off the trans. paid $250 total for engine and got it on a stand about 9 pm.

is there any way to clean the engine so when i take it apart im not full or grease?

I always spray degreaser on them then power wash them. Do you have access to a high pressure washer? Even a garden hose and degreaser helps if you can't get a power washer.

i agree with fishy a pressure washer in your possession is the best bet that way you can take as long as you need also up on the engine stand is great you can get all around it then you may want to put down some cardboard or something similar under the motor to catch as much of the grease as possible tape up anything where you arent gonna want water the throttle body fuel line inlets exhaust ports make sure you have plugs in it a good seal on the oil filter or tape off i usually tape over the water inlets to so i dont get any degreaser in the engine but that may not be necessary i just like to do it good luck have fun with it. Justin

-
Back