Is this a sign of a "Dying" Fuel pump...?

-

67cuda360

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

on a hot day when the engine temp gets around the 190 mark on my 67 barracuda the car sometimes seems to be starving for fuel. I recently put a fuel pressure gauge in and last night i noticed the pressure dropped down to 2 psi right after i gave it some throttle while the car was sitting in the driveway. (needle moving back a forth, so not a steady signal)

Can a fuel pump start acting up when it gets hot or would it either WORK or NOT WORK? The car starts up fine and when cold has about 6 PSI of fuel pressure. Fuel pump is mechanical.

I have also noticed on many occasions (after a drive on a hot day) that the clear fuel filter is pretty much empty or bubbling.

I thought it was a vapor lock issue so i put a 1 inch phenolic spacer under the carb, moved the fuel line as far away from the exhaust as possible, insulated the fuel line that runs past the exhaust manifold, checked and replaced the rubber hoses connecting the line to the pump and i checked the filter for obstructions. I also checked the float bowls in the carb and set them to the correct specs.

There doesn't seem to be any dirt or debris in the filter or in the carb. The tanks looks new and so does the sending unit. Fuel used is 91 octane.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks, Wilco.

I am having the same problem right now on my bee.

It's the fuel pump......it slowly died and was coughing and sputtering at the end.....also had bubbles or sometimes no gas in the fuel filter.

I just ordered a new pump for the car.

And no there are no other issues....good carb, good electrical and good spark.

Good luck.

Thanks momoparman. I guess i'll be ordering a new pump then. Don't want to get stuck on the side of the road :)
Hope your new pump fixes your problem.

If a fuel pump doesn't cure it, check the sock in the tank and the tank vent. What appears to be temp' related could be just time lapse. Debrie that collects on that sock restricts flow then falls away when the draw stops. If the tank vent was the cause, just opening the fill cap would relieve vacuum and cure it almost instantly.
Good luck

-
Back