Is this any good or will it work for my 73 duster?

-

7DUSTER3

1973 Plymouth Duster 360
Reaction score
I was searching around craigslist and came across this 8.75 rear end. Please forgive my ignorance on the matter but i need to know if this is a decent rear end for the price and if it will even fit my 73 duster. I need schooling in center sections, he has 2, what one is better for a built 360 around 400 hp?

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/1525770258.html

thanks,

Bryce

The 489 case is stronger. But a 741 should work also. Price seems maybe a little high but not to bad.

It will fit , the only reason he is say abodys before 73 is because it has small bolt pattern axles, and 73 and up A bodys are big bolt pattern but you can buy new one to get the big bolt pattern or have some C body axles cut down. These are hard to find and if it is complete housing, axles, backing plates, brake hardware, and drums, then its an ok deal as long as you can pick it up close and dont have to pay a hole lot in gas or shipping. my 2 cents

thanks for the replies, it is local, i am looking to keep the big bolt pattern would it still be worth it cost wise to pick it up then convert it or should i keep looking? I am not sure if it is complete with everything. I'm awaiting an email from the guy to find out.

Bryce,

If your car has disc up front, the rear wheels won't fit as the axles he has will likely be small bolt pattern. It will fit your car, no problems except maybe a driveshaft change/alterarion.

Not a bad deal, yopu could also redrill the axles and a set of SBP drums to big bolt and have a usable rear.

You won't hurt a 741 case. The "they are weak card" is way overplayed.

I'd see if you can get everything for $400 or less, then sell the 489 case for 50-75. It's a decent deal at the sellers price if the axle bearings are good.

I'd buy it...

Same seller had a BBP disc set up as well not long ago and it was really well priced from a value standpoint.

Rob

It doesn't look like he has any brakes with it so keep that in mind. Price isn't bad even yet if the 741 chunk has a SG installed. If it's an open chunk it isn't worth alot and his price is a little high. The empty 489 case is worth about $50

Just to throw another option in for your thoughts...see what local pricing might be on a complete B-body 8-3/4. If complete, you would get big bolt pattern axles and bigger brakes.
You can run a B-body rearend in an A-body if you change the spring pad spacing. You can either get wheels with different backspacing or get the rearend narrowed.
My '69 Dart had a B-body rear in it when I bought it. I'm going to get the rear narrowed a bit to fit the wheels/tires I'm going when it goes back together.

-
Back