Is this carb hook up correctly?

-

Dartalltheway

Reaction score
I'm not an expert on carbs so I don't know if this is correctly hooked up. Some lines are blocked the there's a wire that isn't hooked up and I can't find any loose wires to hook it up to. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• 11052012386.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 320
  • 11052012387.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 310
  • 11052012388.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 323
At a guess, I would say NO. It looks like a later model Holley with a bunch of add-ons for pollution control. It may or may not be the correct carb for the car. Best bet, get a Factory Service Manual! It will be your best friend if you're going to work on this car. By the way, what year, make and model car is that, anyway?

ATB

BC

oops forgot that part. It's a 74 Dart Swinger and I believe that this is a holley 1945.

Put an older carb on it (like 68 - 72) vintage and get rid of all those hoses everywhere that are going nowhere....

That will clean it up alot...

It does look pretty californicated alright! I had trouble enough figuring out my Carter BBS. That snake pit would scare me. Best of luck.

ATB

BC

I put a holley 1920 on it and after a rebuild the carb quit on me. So I put the original carb back on, but I forgot how to hook it up. And the wire connection has nowhere to hook up to, so I was hoping for some help.

Well, as I understand it, the 1920 is a lot simpler. You might try rebuilding it again in case you misread some of the instructions or dropped a tiny little part (like I have). Might also find help over on slantsix.org, there are folks that post there that are using Holley carbs. I would try a google search for the particular carb that you have, by model number. There is often a bunch of good info, tuning tips and the like listed. I'm surprised there have been no knowledgeable Holley users replying here.

A google search for "Holley 1920" gives several hits, if you want to try yours again. And google search for "Holley 1945" does too. There are a couple of 1945s on ebay right now, if that's another approach you might want to try. Or, I have a newly rebuilt 1945 that I will put in the parts for sale forum here, as I understand we're not supposed to mention that subject in this forum.

Wish I could be more help.

ATB

BC

The carb in the 1st photo has so many electrical wires, it looks like an O2 feedback type from the early 1980's. It would need an engine control box to work as intended, but probably works OK disconnected, you just not have the O2 control. Two of the wires probably go to the solenoid that acts on the throttle. That is a kicker for when the AC compressor kicks on, and probably a fast idle when cold since I see no choke linkage.

I agree in getting a simpler, newer carb. If you want better mileage and good driveability, look at an Holley Economaster from the late 1970's for the slant six. I see new ones on ebay occasionally. Otherwise, a Carter BBS or Holley 1945. The Holley 1920 has a sealed metering block that is often bad and can't be rebuilt. I went thru many of those carbs before I found a good one. The others all idled too lean.

-
Back