is this cuda #'s matching

-

tsenekos

Reaction score
Hello everyone!!!Im looking at buying this '68 340 formula s cuda. the owner is claiming #'s matching but Im not sure as the numbers he gave me from the engine (. block left pad # DW34022860190 CASTING # 2780930-340-4 CASTING DATE 6-19-67)
and the VIN(
BH29P8B208674) dont really go together I know chrysler changed in 68 to the last 8 digits in the VIN so would this car be like that or would that be later for 69 cars built in 68??
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Cheers,
Greg :)

the vin decoder here says numbers matching, and if the motor says mid 67, then it could be a numbers matching car. as october and november are the months of the new cars hitting the lots.

On '68 340 engines Chrysler stamped the last 6 digits of the VIN on the top rear edge of the engine block on the drivers side. The matching number will appear right across from it on the bellhousing if the car has "matching numbers".

Its possible to have a 67 block in a 68 car. I believe that there is a possible 6 month transition from date on block to when the car leaves the assembly line. You will have to get the fendertag to be sure. Under the F on the fendertage there should be a 7 to signify Formula "S". Go over with a fine tooth comb to be sure.

On '68 340 engines Chrysler stamped the last 6 digits of the VIN on the top rear edge of the engine block on the drivers side. The matching number will appear right across from it on the bellhousing if the car has "matching numbers".

Exactly. Most of the 68 340 cars do have Blocks with June 67 casting dates. Even if its not matching #, its the correct engine and year. Not that big of a deal unless its some kind of show car. The vin# is behind the drivers side valve cover like in this photo from another thread.

Attachments

• vin%20upload.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 248
No 340s in 67 model cars, the new cars were a big deal, and had their showings at the dealers in early august of each year. It was like a family deal for us to go to the Chrysler dealers and see them when they came in.

I have had several 68 340s with a mid 67 cast date.

I am pretty sure they used the build sequence, or some code besides the VIN #, but I am forgetting what the it is exactly called.

My numbers matching 68 Hemi RR, had a matching set of vins from the block and trans, viewable from right behind the drivers side head, just like "longgone" said.

All the above information is correct but thought I would add.

The fender tag on a 68 will not show the vin# like later cars. Instead it will have a sales order number that can be matched to the build sheet if your lucky enough to have both those items.

Some great help so far wow!! thank you and hope to see others chime.
This is the fender tag, he claims real "S" cuda aswell????
I dont really know for sure on this either.
thank you again I really appreciate it :)
Cheers all,

950 8 48 H6W LL1 B3

BH29 52 5 38 B20 069361

Some great help so far wow!! thank you and hope to see others chime.
This is the fender tag, he claims real "S" cuda aswell????
I dont really know for sure on this either.
thank you again I really appreciate it :)
Cheers all,

950 8 48 H6W LL1 B3
BH29 52 5 38 B20 069361
You're good there because in 68 the only way to get a 340 (P Code on the vin) is with the Formula-S. It sounds like there is no doubt that it is a Formula-S with at least a year correct 340. Got any pictures? What condition? Fastback or Notchback? Is it a 4 speed or automatic?

Also I see the paint code you list is LL1. Thats the same as mine (pictured in avatar). Not that common of a color.

I thought for 68 if it was a formula s, there was a 7 under the F on the fendertage?? I dont see any 7 on info posted.

Im not really sure about the "F" in the fender tag there is no F I put all the tag info on above post ???
Car is a fb auto (want a 4spd) can always change it one day grin right guys :)
I really like this site I drool over a lot of members cars here A LOT
I think its what got me wanting a mopar again, last one was a 15000 mile sport satellite yes 15000 miles never touched very minty was my grand fathers he liked the bus more I guess.
Cheers everyone and Im really hoping someone here can tell me 100% its a numbers car.
If its not how much does it affect the value ie
68' 340 S number 2 car numbers matching
VS
'68 340 S non numbers matching but date code correct
thank you again
Greg

DW34022860190

DW is Windsor plant
340 is, well 340
2286 is the engine assebly date of October 31, 1968
0190 is the build sequence

CASTING # 2780930-340-4 is 68-73 340

CASTING DATE 6-19-67 makes sense as your car has a scheduled production date of October 20, 1968, that's the B20 on the fender tag.

52 on the fender tag and the P in the vin is 340 as well.

Find the partial vin on the block as stated earlier.

Also, I would think there is more to the fender tag than what was posted. Under the capital F there should be a 7 for Formula S. Are there any other obvious possible options? Buckets, tinted glass, radio? These would be on the upper rows of the fender tag.

Last thing- you may be wondering how the car could be built, (scheduled production date), before the engine was assembled? It is just that simple, it was a scheduled production date, and they did not always meet the schedule, some sooner, some later, and some I imagine on the exact date.

Post a pic of the fender tag, and find that buildsheet. If you cannot find the buildsheet, you can match the fender tag to the car using the number on the radiator support and trunk lip.

-
Back