Is this DANA?

-

DEVIOUSDUSTER

Proud Member
Reaction score
Is this rear end a Dana? The casting numbers I got say its from a 742 center section but the guy says it's a Dana rear and I think he's crazy.......I know someone knows better. Let me know

s.gif
s.gif
attachment.ashx

attachment.ashx

attachment.ashx

attachment.ashx

If it has a removable center section that has a "742" casting number it is an 8 3/4" diameter rear. Not made by DANA! DANA rears have rear cover plates and not removable center sections

Bob

Thats what I told'm! Because everyone who has a Dana usually gets those chrome rear covers. But ya can't do that with a 8 3/4.

Dana used to make the sure-grip unit for 8.75`s from the late 50`s up to 1969. Perhaps that`s what the fellow was referring to. (?) Since it`s a 742 carrier, which was phased out after `68, it`s likely a Dana Power Lock. Another tell-tale way to identify it is if it has a set of internal clutches in the unit then it probably is a Dana.

I,ve also heard of 8 1/4 Dana?Is it because it was a sure-grip?Thanks!I had a chrome cover on my 8 1/4,does that make it a Dana 8 1/4??LOL!

longgone: You're right. We used to call the 742's Dana/Spicers. If there's a Dana Power Lock rebuildable clutch pack inside, it's considered a Dana. Today everyone calls it a "drop out unit" or a "center section." Guess I'm getting old. LOL

longgone: You're right. We used to call the 742's Dana/Spicers. If there's a Dana Power Lock rebuildable clutch pack inside, it's considered a Dana. Today everyone calls it a "drop out unit" or a center section. Guess I'm getting old. LOL

i guess im old cause i call it the differential or carrier

-
Back