Is this Driveshaft okay to use?

-

Xela.zue

Reaction score
I came up on a used aluminum drive shaft that was in a Dart and I'm thinking of using it in my Dart project. The owner said he had the driveshaft out and rebalanced but ended up selling the project car before putting it back in. The actual tube looks to be in good shape, no dents or visible damage, but the flanges on both ends look beat up. Either from removing the old U-Joints with a hammer and doing it poorly, or from being poorly stored. Do you guys think this thing is still okay to use?

IMG_1408.jpeg

IMG_1407.jpeg

IMG_1406.jpeg

It depends on how much HP you are going to throw at it. If it were mine, I'd take it to a drive shaft shop & have them check it out. Then I'd gently remove the hammer marks.

If you look at the direction of those marks, look like drag marks to me. Like the U-Joint let loose and the shaft dragged the pavement. Its probably ok but I would have a shop throw it on a lathe and make sure its still true.

Yeah, I think they are vise jaw marks. They're on both ends too. At least they used the ends and not the tube itself. I checked it out and it looks good, no dents or other damage that I can see. It's just the ends that are beat up.

I would still take it & have the balance checked. Why take the chance?

-
Back