Is this even possible???

-

zakimodo

Reaction score
I have oil leaking from my head bolts. At the moment it is only fromthe pasenger side of the engine. I thouht it may have been the valve covers but have elimintated them and the valley to intake areas.

Its hard to see in the pictures but the paint has actually bubbled up from around the head bolts.

Attachments

• 2012-10-20 15.43.12.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 450
  • 2012-10-20 15.43.35.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 467
The head bolts on most SB's are dead ended. Some 318's (I have) are open to the coolant. NONE go into any oil passages.

Is it possible the head bolts were oiled during install, and that "a little too much" was used, causing a hydraulic lock in the bottom of the threads, and now that the engine has been heated, it's being forced out the threads?

I'd hit the area with a little brakeclean and keep a eye on them to see if they leak any further.

If what 67Dart273 spoke of has happened, i think you should check the torque specs on them also?

Also, i know you have some paint issues at the bolts, but check the VC gaskets just to double check.

Looks like just 2 bolts? They look easily accessible, is this a new problem on an old engine?

I'd clean it all off again real good as stated above. Then Monitor the situation. It's not normal but anything is possible. In Theory, a cracked Head or Blown Gasket could possibly push oil through a Head Bolt. Kind of like the Perfect storm Scenario. Chances are there would be other symptoms. Just keep a close eye on it. and Check for any related symptoms. Such as Oil/Water mixing or Blow by or oil on spark plugs. Don't ever underestimate the ability of oil to blow backwards from somewhere "Up Front" on the engine. Timing cover Bolts could leak for instance and oil could Migrate back there. I'm not trying to freak you out I'm just saying to check everything. If you prove 100% that the head bolts are leaking then it would have to be a crack or Bad gasket.

The head bolts on most SB's are dead ended. Some 318's (I have) are open to the coolant. NONE go into any oil passages.

Is it possible the head bolts were oiled during install, and that "a little too much" was used, causing a hydraulic lock in the bottom of the threads, and now that the engine has been heated, it's being forced out the threads?

Bolts were installed with a little bit of antisieze.

Looks like just 2 bolts? They look easily accessible, is this a new problem on an old engine?

The center bolts look to be wet as well. The engine is about 5 years old. The current heads have been on for 3 years but it hasn't been ran allot since then, I did have a leaky intake that i thought was the cause of the bolts being wet. With the original heads on there were no leaks.

I'd clean it all off again real good as stated above. Then Monitor the situation. It's not normal but anything is possible. In Theory, a cracked Head or Blown Gasket could possibly push oil through a Head Bolt. Kind of like the Perfect storm Scenario. Chances are there would be other symptoms. Just keep a close eye on it. and Check for any related symptoms. Such as Oil/Water mixing or Blow by or oil on spark plugs. Don't ever underestimate the ability of oil to blow backwards from somewhere "Up Front" on the engine. Timing cover Bolts could leak for instance and oil could Migrate back there. I'm not trying to freak you out I'm just saying to check everything. If you prove 100% that the head bolts are leaking then it would have to be a crack or Bad gasket.

They have been cleaned off a few times. I was thinking earlier today, the cracked head idea isn't really that far fetched. I just wanted to talk my self out of it.

Maybe this will lead to a good excuse to pull the engine.:violent1:

Bolts were installed with a little bit of antisieze.

The center bolts look to be wet as well. The engine is about 5 years old. The current heads have been on for 3 years but it hasn't been ran allot since then, I did have a leaky intake that i thought was the cause of the bolts being wet. With the original heads on there were no leaks.

They have been cleaned off a few times. I was thinking earlier today, the cracked head idea isn't really that far fetched. I just wanted to talk my self out of it.

Maybe this will lead to a good excuse to pull the engine.:violent1:
Maybe some one on here has seen it before and will chime in with some more ideas. I would at least check the Torque first.

My 340 was doing the same thing. It was the valve cover gaskets leaking and running down. That is exactly where the oil will pool up.

Cleanded it all up, checked the torque of the head bolts and went for a drive. I think it is the valve cover gaskets, after the drive there was a light film of oil around the base of the cover. I would have never thought that smal amount of film could eventually pool up like that.

Looks like you have Mopar perf. valve covers. Just a heads up, they are famous for contacting the intake runners before you can get the bolts snugged down good. I had a set on my old 360 and had to grind some clearance so they cleared. They were also touchy about what gaskets I used. I first tried fel-pro neoprene gaskets and they wouldn't seal at all. Then I tried fel-pro cork gaskets and they sealed pretty good but still seeped about like yours are doing. Finally found some extra thick cork gaskets at Autozone along with RTV on the valve cover side worked great.

Looks like you have Mopar perf. valve covers. Just a heads up, they are famous for contacting the intake runners before you can get the bolts snugged down good. I had a set on my old 360 and had to grind some clearance so they cleared. They were also touchy about what gaskets I used. I first tried fel-pro neoprene gaskets and they wouldn't seal at all. Then I tried fel-pro cork gaskets and they sealed pretty good but still seeped about like yours are doing. Finally found some extra thick cork gaskets at Autozone along with RTV on the valve cover side worked great.

They are the Mopar perf. valve covers. I have seen how big of a PITA they can be on big blocks

Any body know if reusable steel core rubber gaskets are available. I used to work on CAT equipment, they used that type of gasket in some applications and we never had leaks.

They are the Mopar perf. valve covers. I have seen how big of a PITA they can be on big blocks

Any body know if reusable steel core rubber gaskets are available. I used to work on CAT equipment, they used that type of gasket in some applications and we never had leaks.

Moroso # 93050 or Mopar perf. P5249581. I don't know how thick the Mopar perf. ones are but the Moroso gaskets are nearly 3/16" thick so they might raise the v. covers up away from the intake for more clearance.

-
Back