Is This Right?

-

jeffduster

Duster
Reaction score
So i took The "Carpet" or mat that they use for carpet and found this. It looks like the car was glued together? seemed kinda odd though i would post this up here and see if i can get any answers?
Sorry for such a big picture....

Picture003Medium.jpg

Picture002Medium.jpg

Picture001Medium.jpg

That's seam sealer, it looks like. Is that crack over the hump in the metal too, or just in the seam sealer?

Ok I've had the car about 3 year. Got it my senior year of high school. The ball Joint broke, so i fix it try to get it aligned they say the frames bent so i got it fixed which really wasn't that cheap cost 900 bucks just to get the frame fixed and on a student budget thats a lot. So i Am thinking i was going about 10 mph s an i hit the curb and it bent the frame? sounded odd. previous over said it was never wrecked. So the point to the whole story is it was wreck and fixed very poorly. But Underneath all that seem sealer looks like a crack all the way from the driver side to the passenger side.

Looks like the car has either been hit before you bought it, or was damaged during straightening judging from the tranny hump and the separation. When you had the body straightened I'm assuming it was done by a pro body shop? It may be that the separation happened as the body was being pulled if it wasn't done correctly. In any case I think that getting the car right will be a challenge and may require further body shop intervention. Best of luck.

Those two body panels are seperating at the seem where the seem sealer covers them up and keeps it water tight. Theres that mystery dent on the top of the tunnel.

Na, that aint right. But if it drives straight and dosn't shake the car.......

Well thats the thing this car has been nothing but headaches....This is why you dont buy cars off the internet ..... and i bought it on moparts.com the p.o. sayed it was never wrecked.Can trust anyone thesedays. I think i might be done with this pos

What does it look like underneath the car?
C

Maybe just a real poor job of replacing the floor pans. A lot of shops aren't welding panels any longer but use a urethane "glue", but then there doesn't appear to be an overlap either so I'll stick with just a poor replacement.

I'd clean it off and have a buddy with a mig fix the seam. Won't notice it at all after the pad and carpet is installed.

how an why would this happen? i must admit when i got the car it was mickey moused.... I have a honda s2000 push button start in my 1974 plymouth duster?

if the body has been tweakad that much i,d install some frame connectors to stiffen it up

if the body has been tweakad that much i,d install some frame connectors to stiffen it up

before welding I think it would be good to put it on a frame rack and make sure it is straight before welding and ADD FRAME RAIL CONNECTORS weld them in also

Yes, but it might be a good idea to first pound out the bent metal in the hump to take stresses off the floor panels. Remember, unibody construction ties everything together in such a way that stresses are spread throughout all attached panels; some areas more than others. Just a thought.

Jeff, that's some beat up floor.

In the 3rd pic, look at where the wire is.. that point shouldn't be there.. and off to the left of the pic I see that one of the trans cross support spot welds has pulled through the floor.

The P.O. did happen to say if it was bottomed out on anything, like maybe a stump or had the trans fall out while going down the hwy? It's definitely fixable especially with how solid the floor looks even though it's misshapen.
As for hitting a curb..unibodies do strange things when you bang them up.. I think Fishbreath is on the right track if you hit a curb you may have to go back over the whole car to make sure nothing else is racked if there is no point of impact under the floor where the point is, then it who knows how it was buckled. My 75 got hit in the front (offset head on while making a left) passenger side and it caved in the driver side quarter when it trapezoided the car

Almost looks like someone used a porta-power on something under the car, and stuck one end against the trans tunnel....

Definitely looks like accident damage to the door hinge area, or a right front hit. The frame work may have straightened the car to its factory dimensions, but the shop didn't fix everything that was damaged... the floorboard wrinkles, maybe a couple other cosmetic things. Check your wheelbase carefully on each side and compare, should be within 1/2 inch. May also want to check an X measurement under the body.

I'd like to see the rest of the car. Just because the car might have some damage or repairs, don't give up on it yet. It's a 30+ year old car....they go through a lot in 30 or 40 years. Most cars, unless you're lucky to have a cream puff, have some repairs and damage or rust or whatever to them. Fixed wiring, new paint, bondo, things that just aren't right.

It can all be fixed. Be patient and be glad you've got a vintage mopar instead of a Toyota. :)

-
Back