Is this the factory "bulkhead bypass"?

-

TylerW

Reaction score
Hey guys:

I've got a couple steering columns here in front of me. One is a '73 and the other a '75.

I was comparing the harnesses in each and everything appears identical except for a couple things. I think i know the answer to my first question but I'm not sure:

On the '73 all the wires from the ign switch go to the flat white connector and then onward from there. On the '75 column, the wires are identical, except that the heavy red and heavy black wires bypass the the flat white connector and terminal in their own 2-wire black connector.

I'm pretty sure that's the "bypass" to keep those wires out of the bulkhead and avoid the known issues. I *may* have the underhood part of that harness..either way, would it be worth my while to use that harness in the '73 car which has no power accessories, or save it for another day?

The other things I noticed was the '75 has the orange wire present in the ign harness, the '73 does not. Also, the '73 has a 3-wire green/tan/brown harness coming from the column which was not connected in the car.

Thanks for any thoughts.

No. Just yearly changes. So far as I know, the fleet / taxi / police wiring never had anything to do with column wiring

The optional wiring is MUCH more difficult to figure out starting in 73 because of the way the newer diagrams are drawn.

I don't have a 75 book, but the 76 went to an external shunt ammeter which "fixed" the entire problem with high current through the bulkhead

The tipoff in 74, is the bigger wires going through a separate grommet in the firewall, and "up under" near the ammeter, a cut red and capped off which previously went through the bulkhead connector is abandoned

The tipoff in 74, is the bigger wires going through a separate grommet in the firewall, and "up under" near the ammeter, a cut red and capped off which previously went through the bulkhead connector is abandoned

Not all got that though, correct??

No just the optional 60 or 65 A alternators.

-
Back