Is this the recall wheel?

-

bumnround

Reaction score
Hi guys! This is the steering wheel that came in my Barracuda. Is this the so called recall wheel? Does the silver centre belong? If this is the wheel what is it worth? Thanks for the look, Greg

DSCF0565.jpg

DSCF0566.jpg

DSCF0598.jpg

DSCF0596.jpg

DSCF0595.jpg

Is that horn button supposed to be silver. Anybody ever see one of these sell?

That is the recall wheel and special horn button. VERY VERY RARE! Yours looks nice, not sure on the price but I figure it would be atleast $500, probably more, your looks great! I seen one on ebay that was restored and it was bid up to $2,000. Are you looking to sell it? I would keep it with the car if it were me, maybe check your build sheet if you have one, could tell you if it was original to your car. Not sure about the color of the button....maybe they all came that way?

I was aware of the KH recall road wheels, but this is the first I've seen/heard of the recall steering wheel. Where can I read and learn more about it? What's the story?

It was a early 1967 wheel, seen them on the Plymouth Fury, Barracuda, and Belvedere/GTX models before. Not sure if a Dodge one was made, I have never seen one of those.

"1967 sport-type steering wheel. This wheel is unique, as it was a recalled option: Corporate studies showed that it might break at the center and impale the driver (yikes!) in the event of a serious accident."

recall.jpg

recall2.jpg

Sheesh…there were scarcely any safe steering wheels at that time; this one must've been particularly hideous.

we found a wheel like this in my bosses 71 scamp /6 car. it was just sitting in the trunk. i doubt its the recall one but anyone have more pictures of the handel area? maby he can recoup all his money he bought the car with lol

Thanks for all the response guys. This wheel is supposed to be there according to my build card. I have orig carb,dist and the wheel will also stay. I,m getting an appraisal for insurance to get it on the road and I will show this thread to him. Having this wheel just makes this car even cooler. Thanks FABO

bumnround, if I recall correctly your car had a shipped date of in late May, like mine, and that isn't an early 67- but it definitely came with the car.

If it ended up on a 67 built in late May, that wouldn't be early in the year and definitely not early in the model year.

The link Dan posted has a report date of May 15, 1968.

Is that the date when the wheel was recalled/discontinued?

If so, then it could have ended up on 68 models.

It was a early 1967 wheel, seen them on the Plymouth Fury, Barracuda, and Belvedere/GTX models before. Not sure if a Dodge one was made, I have never seen one of those.

My 67 has one.

Attachments

• DSC02486.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 423
Wow, I like it. That's cool!!!! Recall or not. toolman

-
Back