Is this turbo a good size for a bone stock 225?

-
well with out doing the math... i would compare engine size and rpm... seems that if it spools your gonna be in trouble with 25 lbs...

Lol. That sounds like bad news.. What should I look for size wise for a cheap turbo? Off what kinda car ect.

Thanks!! RD

That turbo would work fine, you can adjust the boost with a wastegate. Lots of fabrication when building a turbo system but they make lots a power.

I have a friend with a turbo off a turbo diesel Mercedes that I can pick up for 75 bucks, its a kkk k26. Small one, but for starters, I think it should work well. I am planning on using the stock exhaust manifold and fabricating a pipe that curves up slightly towards the battery where I will bolt the snail on. then just run the oil lines, fabricate the pipe to the carb with BOV, and finish the exhaust. What do you guys think? Am I forgetting anything?

What about the kkk K26? Its small, but for a bone stock 225 (and I mean STOCK), it should work fine right?

Word of caution,a good friend of mine is running two on a 318,take housings off and clean them up,my buddy bought his off of ebay and boy is glad he did,these are china turbos and I guess they do not clean them very good.
He is happy with the performance...
Good luck and keep us posted,
TXDart

How would the ebag turbo act with a stock converter and 2.76 gears??

Lookin at turbos isn't all about total boost output. It's about spool speed and impeller weight. A turbo can put out 40 PSI of boost, but if the impeller weighs a ton and it has bushing shaft support, you'll not get any benefit at all until some pretty high RPM. You want lightweight impeller and shaft and roller bearing shaft support if you're buying new. Course, that won't be cheap either.

I would google "turbocharging and carburetors" to get a better idea of what it takes to make one work.

You need to find out the exact specs, you dont want too big of an exhaust housing (lag). I would look for an 84/85 GN turbo.

Turbos have come a bajillion light years beyond the buick junkola. Read up on them.

TBO330 TURBO on the 84/85 cars...check ebay

Stroker good point, but I know for a fact these turbos can support 300+ hp reliably on the cheap. Your talking about high priced turbos with BB and forged wheels. The guys putting it on a stock 225, no need to go all star trek.

That number didn't come up with anything. How much do these usually go for?

TBO348 on the 86-87 GN's....good enough to run 12's on stock slant.

Go to a buick site...s/b able to get a good one for less than $250

Stroker good point, but I know for a fact these turbos can support 300+ hp reliably on the cheap. Your talking about high priced turbos with BB and forged wheels. The guys putting it on a stock 225, no need to go all star trek.

You're right...but ain't nobody done it yet....not even the guys that are runnin FAST with turbos. I wanna see somebody put a real modern turbo one and skin it back. lol

That number didn't come up with anything. How much do these usually go for?

I've seen as low as 50 (needs rebuilt) to 400 for a new one. Im sure you can scour the internet and find one for less than 200 in working order. Try Precision Turbo they may just have one. I'll keep my eyes peeled as well.:yawinkle:

find a holset Hx35 or a older holset h1c off a dodge diesel. Make sure it has a non wastegated housing. they size their housing different they use Cm instead of a/r. You would probably want a 12-16cm housing. Then get a external wastegate. probably a 40mm cheapo off ebay. and a BOV. I would also suggest you join the turboforums to get some help with that carb. you just cant force air through it... floats need to be changed holes need sealing etc.. You probably wont want to go over 10 psi of boost so plan accordingly..

perfect! lol turbo's like load... thats what gets the turbo to spool...

but! as SS said you need the right epuip. to do what you want...
turbo is gonna kill that stock converter.. Everything needs to be done together. Stall in relation to boost etc.. It will work for a bit but plan on going through parts. the gearing probably wont be to bad if you have short tires. I have 32" tall rears and I am running 3.55s.

Sounds like you've got some good, specific experience HOTMOPR. That's what these turbo discussions need. What's your car run? Can you be more specific about your setup?

You're right...but ain't nobody done it yet....not even the guys that are runnin FAST with turbos. I wanna see somebody put a real modern turbo one and skin it back. lol

I was able to use a TBO348 in a 70 Dart @ 3350# race weight through the factory exhaust manifold and nail down a 105mph trap speed. The only mods to the engine besides the 80k miles were valve springs and a head gasket. According to some calculators, this is over 300hp.

-
Back