Is this turbo a good size for a bone stock 225?

-
Sounds like you've got some good, specific experience HOTMOPR. That's what these turbo discussions need. What's your car run? Can you be more specific about your setup?
It ran 9.90s on the old juiced motor. The new motor is not totally done yet. Its close. Just waiting to get back to work. I still need the ignition system and some fuel system parts. Its a 440/493. 8-1 motor.fully studded, girdled, filled, Ported stage VI heads, Holley 980 blow through, Probe pistons, BME aluminum rods, Comp turbo cam.. This was the final mock up pict.

2011-03-30_14-40-13_804.jpg

I'm getting ready to turbocharge a stock 225 myself. From the research I've done on the web (Yikes! Info from the web!?), it's seems that there are three turbo's that can be adapted which would be well suited to the 225 slant, based on their maps, size, and flow.

The PTE 6262DBB turbo from a Buick GN 3.8 engine (era 1987) is a good choice, as would be most any year GN 3.8 turbo. Also, both the third generation Supra turbo and the Nissan 300ZX turbo from the 80's seem a close fit as well.

turbo is gonna kill that stock converter.. Everything needs to be done together. Stall in relation to boost etc.. It will work for a bit but plan on going through parts. the gearing probably wont be to bad if you have short tires. I have 32" tall rears and I am running 3.55s.

on some thing like yours... yes... but these slants (word of mouth) seem to like factory gears and stock to slight stall...

Hmm.. Gives me inspiration at least!

What about the Hitachi HT12 turbo? I have a lead on two off of a twin turbo rx7 for cheap.

If your going single thats a small turbo remember that RX7 motor is SM all and they used 2 of those, I would really try and find a GN turbo.

I am still planning on a gn turbo. Just putting up what options I have.

on some thing like yours... yes... but these slants (word of mouth) seem to like factory gears and stock to slight stall...
It has nothing to do with stall dude.. Its about the strain a turbo motor will put on a stock converter. Thats why they make anti ballooning converters. Maybe a stock slant wont kill it but its not recommended.. Stall speeds are totally different when dealing with boosted cars. I suggest you do some research before you start recommending parts and Ideas. Just sayin..

LMAO, you know I thought about that after I posted the pic. I looked at the guy and said wait a minute I hope I dont insult HotMopr cause that guy looks kind of pathetic! I was focused on the sheer size of that thing that looks like a turbo. Glad you have a sense of humor and no way would a guy that drives a turbo (big I might add) Cuda look like that.. ;-)

Rocker someone selling an 86/87 turbo cheap here, says its dry and tight..LMAO anyway good luck
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/parts-sale/345320-stock-turbo-pod-w-30lb-gauge-fuel-rail.html

I have seen people use the turbos from Turbo coupe Thunderbirds from the mid to late eighties, early nineties IIRC. Its similar in size to a T3/T4 hybrid. I have seen guys with two of them make over 600hp with a 302 Ford. They can be still found in the boneyards. One should be pretty close for a stock slanty. The key to turbo charging is sizing. Fancy turbos with ball bearings and such are the rage but there are people like me with 20 year old setups that make big power. Dont be afraid to try it, you will like it. The stock converter may end up being too loose, especially with 2.76s. Thats gonna kill the converter and trans eventually, but hey try it and if it doesn't meet your needs there are plenty of converters out there to choose from.

Awesome guys thanks!! I sent the guy with th GN turbo a pm, hope it works out!

I am running a old supra turbo on my duster lol works great!! Running about 10 pounds at the moment due to some exhaust issues and blow through issues into the crank case which is why I'm doing the long rod set up

I have a lead on two off of a twin turbo rx7 for cheap

funny you should say that. I just got offered the twin turbo setup from an RX7 as well. Would they be suited to a Slant?

-
Back