chad72duster

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a 440.

this is the story:

mid 70 cast block
cast crank polished
trw pistons " six pack replacement piston" new
rods are all shot penned and redone with arp bolts
346 heads mild P&P need cleaning and maybe a valve job also cut down for a about a 75 cc cahmeber
RPM Performer
assorted boxes of rocker arms and new shafts and just loads of junk.

This is what happened, some kid started a build. Had the block done at my buddies shop as well as the rods. New pistons rings and bearings. Went to install the cam and said there was a tight cam bearing pulled the cam out and stopped. So it is basicly a new short block maybe with a bad cam bearing or a bad cam journal or a bad cam. The cam he was going to use was used had been in the motor before. He got to this point and stopped.

He let this motor sit for 3 years like this. I was outside under a carport rapped in garbage bags. The heads and all the misc jusnk was in a shed :shock: :shock: He wants $750 for everything. I told him let me take it to the machine shop and disassemble it and if it was good and could be salvaged I would give him 750.

this should be an 11 to 1 or better motor and will have to have lots of cam what do you guys think is it worth $750, I figure block 200, heads 200, intake 150 used,rods 100 pistons 250, cast cranks 350 or 400. If its good and the bearing and rings are all good them what the hell.

how about some feedback.

turned out to be a grat deal, Forged Pistons , turned crank everything in decent shape. Took it. One step closer to a big block duster

well I am buying Zeaters carb have most of the stuff to put her together. I am trying to figure out the tranny situation. The 440 has a cast crank. My flywheel is a 10.5 for the 340 same as a 440 and would work on the 440 if it had a steel cran. I ma looking for a factory steel crank to go in so I can use my current flywheel, clutch and pressure plate fron the 340. If I cant find one then I have to explore other options weather another externally ballanced flywheel bolted to my crank will work with my clutch or if that get out of controll then an auto. I dont know. I know I have over $500 ib the flywheel and clutch and plate just to sit around and collect dust aint gonna get it.

-
Back