Is your antifreeze testor ok?

-

cudadriver

Reaction score
I changed my antifreeze in two cars a few days ago. I mixed the antifreeze 50/50 which should have made the mix good to -37C or -34F. My old tester would not go beyond -29C or -20F.
This tester is dead simple, Just a pointer/float. It will move through the whole range when tilted but won't go beyond the -29C/-20F point with antifreeze water mix in it.
Went and got a new one and it reads the -37C/-34F as it should. Go figure. How can such a simple tester go bad? Any ideas?

No idea, but I did a bunch of crappy work in the freezing cold last year because my tester was only showing -7. New tester showed 30 below.

I guess the balls don't float so well after they get old.

If -29C won't get it done, I'm moving anyway. LOL!

No idea, but I did a bunch of crappy work in the freezing cold last year because my tester was only showing -7. New tester showed 30 below.

I guess the balls don't float so well after they get old.

If -29C won't get it done, I'm moving anyway. LOL!

Yeah mine tend to do that too. Oh! You mean the tester. LOL

Seems to me I remember reading somewhere that the temperature of the antifreeze being tested has a lot to do with it. ie different temps will give somewhat different results. I usually make sure to test with engine cold.

I thought I heard somewhere that the older testers aren't accurate with the newer antifreezes. Seems I heard this right after I received a fancy new tester as a Father's day gift. Don't know if mine is for the old stuff or the new stuff or if it matters.

Thanks for the tip toolmanmike. I think I will replace my $5.99 tester every couple of years rather than spend $96.00. If I were a lot younger I would probably go for that one even at that price.

-
Back