Is Your Car Shining?

-

olddman

Reaction score
Needing to get some more stuff to put a shine on my 1965 Dart Gt. Before I buy something I thought I would ask for some suggestions as to what I should buy. Wax, polish, ceramic coating sprays, ceramic wax, or something else. Seems there are so many products out there and so many different reasons to use one over the other. So, thought I would turn to the experts for some help.

In my opinion different products work better on different paint, what are you working with.

Needing to get some more stuff to put a shine on my 1965 Dart Gt. Before I buy something I thought I would ask for some suggestions as to what I should buy. Wax, polish, ceramic coating sprays, ceramic wax, or something else. Seems there are so many products out there and so many different reasons to use one over the other. So, thought I would turn to the experts for some help.
Dart isn't here with me, so I took pics of pics.

20211025_073452_Burst01.jpg

20211025_073602.jpg

20211025_073658.jpg

20211025_073710 (2).jpg

she is a beaut! what kind of paint are we workin with? original? single stage? had a repaint? Off the cuff a low speed buffer with a wool pad has been my go to. but the others on here probably have better ideas on what chemical/polish they like....I just use whats on the shelf.....mothers/Mcguires...etc...nice car! Thanks for the pics!

My single stage metallic has become dull

Sorry to say that I do not know much about the paint. Bought it back in 2003 form a guy who lived in South Carolina. He bought the car from a guy in Crosby, Texas. Believe that the car was repainted back around 2000. Car was originally Gold Poly.
Anyhow I was going to buy some more wax and thought I would see what folks on the forum were using. There is so much new stuff out now compared to years ago. May just keep on using what I have been using.
Will try to post better pics when I get her home.

A lot of people have moved towards ceramics such as the product torque it is a good product. But I have gone back to good hard shell paste wax such as turtles wax super hard shell and then use turtle Wax exterior detail spray on about every other wash. I like the results, but I keep my car garage and like to wax it a couple times a year.

Screenshot_20210626-071747.png

give it a good washing and then clay it with soapy water, the clay gets the crap out the paint to get ready for the wax. A good hard wax and a power buffer will light it up. Especially on a single stage. Clears are another story. Probably that ceramic stuff until the clear starts to check and then you need a repaint.

Wash with Dawn Dish Soap and then rinse well. Let dry, see how it looks

Wash with a wash mit to help clean the surface of the paint.

_________

If you want it to look a little better after that, take some auto body rubbing compound and thin it down with distilled water.

Then give the car a light hand buff, panel by panel with a cotton cloth. Then polish up the panel with a clean terry cloth towel to bring out the shine.

Then on to the next panel, one panel at a time.

Do not leave the rubbing compound on any longer than to polish it back off.

Did my whole truck like this by hand, polished it up nice without hurting the paint. Aged 25 year old single stage acrylic enamel paint job.

20201013_192958.jpg

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. Just getting ready to order another bottle of Jax Wax but thought I would check out what was being pushed today. I use a clay bar about once a year and for the past five years or so have used Jax Wax. This past year I began using Bead Maker and have been pleased with the results of using the two.
Think that I will just keep doing what I've been doing. Think she looks pretty good after all these years!

I had my buddy, Big Rob, perform paint correction then ceramic coating. It's hard to see it in the video, in person is night and day.

If your paint is in good condition, I will HIGHLY recommend a ceramic coating. Now before the haters pile on, all I can say is that I have had AMAZING results with it. I used the Blackfire system from Autogeek.net. It takes a while to apply. I have used it on 4 cars; my 69 Barracuda, my 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee and two vehicles for friends who were amazed when they saw mine. I first wash the car, then thoroughly dry it (to include blowing out all cracks and crevices), clay bar, polish the entire car with my Griot's Garage orbital polisher and Blackfire polish, then two coats of the ceramic coating, then a final clean up wipe down with blackfire quick detailer. Plan on all day. But your car will look amazing. After 2.5 years, the Jeep still sheets water when in the rain.
BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Paint Coating Black Edition (autogeek.net)

I don't know what your particular car might need, but I like Meguiars products. A lot. They have everything from entry level products found in WalMart and most auto parts stores to Professional products available as special orders or through body shop supply houses.

Last edited:
-
Back