Is Your Water Pump Overdrive, Underdrive, or Neither?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I notice my coolant temperature creeps up at stop lights. The pulleys are not factory (since the previous owner removed A/C). Now I'm wondering if messing around with pulley diameters (crank vs. water pump mainly) may be a factor at the stop lights. The radiator was recored by a reputable shop. I don't know what variety of ratios Chrysler used back in the day. Might be something to think about. I'll have to do so measuring tomorrow (pulley diameters that is).

There is more to it than just pulley dia. Impeller dia, and number of blades.

Someone recently posted a video or master tech that talked all about it.

IIRC my stock 273 is under driven by 5 %

Is your fan a mopar fan? If it is, what is the part number? State your assesories, air conditioning, 70 amp alternator etc.

On all brands of engine that I have worked on [ many ], I have found that spinning the WP faster [ smaller pulley ] improves cooling. When using a mech fan, you are also turning the fan faster to pull more air through the rad core.
A shroud is also moooooooost important for idle/low speed air flow. The closer the fan blade tips are to the shroud, the better it will be at pulling air. You also need to seal the shroud to the rad so that ALL the air is pulled through the core, & not through extraneous gaps.

just replacing the old factory 340 fan clutch (which felt it had enough resistance) with a new hayden HD thermal clutch made a HUGE difference.... in my set up -- warmed over 340 /auto /no a/c -- champion 3 core with the same shroud (installed prior to the hayden replacement)!!!!

Last edited:
So at low speed, the shroud is more important. On the road at speed, a bunch of air is moving always. At a light, it's the fan and it's efficiency - i.e., the shroud. Get one.

I have a good fabricator, I'll put him on the shroud project. The old factory ones don't impress me (although they are metal).

I have a good fabricator, I'll put him on the shroud project. The old factory ones don't impress me (although they are metal
The old factory ones were properly engineered. The aftermarket and driveway mechanic made ones are crap. They are typically parallel to the radiator core and impeed air flow at speed. Mimic the shape of the OEM units and you might be good.

I notice my coolant temperature creeps up at stop lights

BTW that is perfectly normal as long as it reaches an equilibrium point at a reasonable temp.

Can't vouch for the accuracy of these part numbers:

Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 3.38.44 PM.png

Contrary to popular understanding, the fan does not suck air thru the rad.
The atmosphere on the outside of the car, pushes it's way thru, in response to the low-pressure on the engine-side of the rad, which the fan is attempting to create.
Stopped and idling is the hardest time for the cooling system.
Your prime concern is to reduce the pressure on the engine side of the fan, and to make sure the air coming thru the rad has some place to go.
The fan is the workhorse.
How it works is that the fan is trying desperately to create a low-pressure area inside the shroud, so that the atmosphere can push air thru the rad from the outside.
If ANY AIR from the engine-side, sneaks around the blade-tips or over the top of the rad, or thru the sides, that will reduce the air pressure on the rad from the atmospheric side.
And any air that sneaks in from the engine side, that air is already HOT, and expanding making the job even harder.
The point is, that the rad has to be "sealed" to the core support to prevent all that sneaking around.
After that, the OD of the fan has to be a tight fit in the shroud, with just enough room allowed for engine torque-over.
After that the fan has to be positioned front to back in the shroud in such a manner that the air coming thru has room to get "flung" off the blade tips radially.
After that you can talk about number of blades, and impeller vanes, and ratios etc.

Now, I just want to mention one more thing;
Your pulley ratios are from about 5% overdrive to about 5% underdrive, right? If your engine is equipped with a one to one ratio and idling at 700 in gear, the 5% increase is 35rpm right?
But if you currently are 5% underdriven and swapping to 5% overdriven, that would be a change of 10% right? Thus from 700 to 770 rpm, a change of 70 rpm.
But if you put the trans in neutral and the Rs jump up to 850........ that is 150 rpm and a jump of 21.4% from 700 . The point is this; just put the trans in neutral and see what happens! If the temp continues to rise, then a pulley ratio change will be a waste of money.
But check out what happens at the other end; At 6500 rpm, the difference of 10% is 650rpm from min to max . You better have a clutch on that fan else HotRod magazine says you will lose 600 horsepower, or some other slightly less-stupid ridiculously high number, lol. And, to that end; I highly recommend a HD Ford Thermostatic clutch from an early 2000s pick-up, on; an all-steel, 7-blade, high attack-angle Chrysler fan from a mid-70s A/C car. Mine runs at exactly 205 to 207*F all the time. Including at 550 rpm and 5* advance , chugging across the parking lot.

Last edited:
One thing to beware of with overdriving the water pump. On many engines, the same fan belt drive the alternator. Which means alt shaft speed will increase. The max shaft speed should be ascertained to make sure it can cope with the expected engine rpm.

Disregard above. Only applies if crank pulley size is increased.

-
Back