Isky 270 Mega Cam P/N 390171

-
This 340 is using stock 1970 intake manifolds, 340 exhaust manifolds. Heads are U castings, 2.02 intake, bowl ported.
These are the heads I'm using.
340 Heads 1.jpg
340 Heads.jpg

three good suggestions above if they fit
agree on comp cams
if you want a solid flat tappett or roller
Street Performance | Jones Cams
get all the info together no matter who you talk with
headflows down to .050 helps
you have a "special case"
there most likely is not an off the shelf solution
Mikes cam picking and his (and Controlled indution) software is the best to sort out your kind of build

68Chrgr this started out as youre post. I feel you are trying to find out what is the best cam for youre engine too. I want to thank all you guys for the suggestions. We have a new performance shop in our area, I talked to the owner and he said he has good luck out of Lunati cams and lifters. I looked on their website and I have some interesting choices. I am anxious to see what the guys recommend for you. Thanks every one.

this is what I have. 418 stroker.edelbrock heads 65cc.i have a comp cam 268 xe that lifters went bad. the cam needs to be replaced. I have comp adjustable rockers.750 carb.4.10 gears 727 trans. the reason I don't run headers is because I bought this car new and I ran headers for many years but I am 70 years old and just tired of messing with them. the stock manifolds work just fine.i will not buy another comp cam.
Agreed I’m 62 and am not interested in headers unless I had an all out engine
Years ago I read where a 340 was tested with headers and hipo
manifolds there was a 12 hp difference
I’ll be damned if I’m going to pay 400 plus for something you won’t feel in your seat not to mention extremely high frig factor

Agreed I’m 62 and am not interested in headers unless I had an all out engine
Years ago I read where a 340 was tested with headers and hipo
manifolds there was a 12 hp difference
I’ll be damned if I’m going to pay 400 plus for something you won’t feel in your seat not to mention extremely high frig factor

That’s because they tested JUNK headers. There is way more than 12 HP in a GOOD header over manifolds.

EDIT: if you aren’t paying 800 bucks or more for headers, you might as well run manifolds.

Last edited:
The difference in HP between hi-po manifolds will essentially depend on three things:
- how good the headers are
- how efficient the hi po manifolds are
- the cam timing.
Expect less difference with a short cam timing. So I can believe the numbers quoted if cam timing was short or stock-ish.

Factory hi po manifolds ARE headers. They just have very short primary lengths but fit the definition of a header, ie, exhaust dumping into separate pipes or runners that merge into a larger common area [ the collector ].

-
Back