It’s Been Hot Here In Phoenix

-

dart4forte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looks like it melted

626BC990-6487-4EE5-89C2-BB4E0DA95987.jpeg

Looks like an expensive landing.somebody's wings are clipped for a while.

Hmm... That looks like an old C-141 Starlifter, which they retired from the Air Force service. I used to work on their engines. (C-141 and KC-135's used to the same TF-33 P-5/7 series Turbofan engines, B-52 used a TF-33 P-3 variant as well.) Although they're retired from service some of the other organizations still fly them occasionally. Not too sure if they still fly them in airshows or not, probably not.

Last edited:
I don't think that aircraft is going to take to the skies anytime soon. LMAO

Hmm... That looks like an old C-141 Starlifter, which they retired from the Air Force service. I used to work on their engines. (C-141 and KC-135's used to the same TF-33 P-5/7 series Turbofan engines, B-52 used a TF-33 P-3 variant as well.) Although they're retired from service some of the other organizations still fly them occasionally. Not too sure if they still fly them in airshows or not, probably not.
That explains why I haven't seen any 141s in the air in a while. We have an Air Force base in Tucson, and all I really ever see for military cargo planes are C-17s and C-5 Galaxies. Oh, and C-130s, but there's a C-130 squadron out of there.

That explains why I haven't seen any 141s in the air in a while. We have an Air Force base in Tucson, and all I really ever see for military cargo planes are C-17s and C-5 Galaxies. Oh, and C-130s, but there's a C-130 squadron out of there.
They lost their A10s, replaced with a squadron of special ops aircraft.

Yes, C141. It’s an old pic, probably circa early 90s. Looks like structural issues. Those airframes got a workout. Flew in them many times

Yeah, I saw that. I thought you meant they were gone already. It's a damn shame too, they've been in the air my entire life. I'll miss seeing those ugly *** planes.

They're still flying down here, but definitely in lower numbers than usual. Mostly what I see are C130s and Jolly Green Giants, but the bays at the shop face the airport, so it's F16s from the ANG all day long.

My fire station is really close to the base, so we get front row seats to see the demo team do their stuff. Those A10s so much more agile than they look.

Tucson, Air Force is getting their way and retiring the A-10. Probably a few left there. A Special Ops squadron is replacing them. Air Rescue.

The future of Davis Monthan without the A-10 Warthog is becoming more clear | Living In Tucson | NewsBreak Original
Yeah, sadly they are starting to retire some of those A-10's. Hill AFB here does fly these birds quite often though, they have a big shop here.
It is good to see them around, gives me the warm fuzzies seeing them fly.
There is an ANG Squadron in Idaho that flies these often as well. The 190th "Skull Bangers". That Squadron made their own little bar in their building, they had shot glasses made from the 30mm casings, DPU free I'm sure, lol.

And also the A-10's engines are TF-34's, somewhat similar to what I used to work on. When I was in tech school in Sheppard AFB TX I was right next to the A-10 engine shop class they were called "B-Shred" training class I think. We were the "C-Shreds" for TF-33's.
Then you had the "Super heavies" TF-39's, don't know what Shred class they were called. But I remember seeing those monstrous engines for the first time, I was like "What the hell uses these? Oh yeah, gotta be the C5's".

@Righty Tighty Oh yeah, what surprised me about the A-10's is how freaking quiet they were compared to the F15, F16's and especially the new F35's. Those F35's are loud mutha's!

This was posted by Delta V over on FBBO

Aerospaceweb.org | Aircraft Museum - C-141 StarLifter Pictures

The cause of the mishap came down to fatigue and bad communication. A fuel leak had developed in the accident wing in the #2 main tank. The plane was pulled into the fuel barn (the hangar in the background of the photos). The leak was repaired and pressure plugs were inserted in the place of the vent plugs. The wing was charged with compressed air. The theory being that if the tank would hold a certain pressure for a certain time, then the leak must be fixed. This also allowed for the replaced panels to "seat."

The plane was then taken back out to the line and refueling started for her next trip to Germany later that day. The personnel who performed the repairs had put in a 20 hour day and went home. Follow on personnel did not swap the pressure test plugs for the vent plugs. As fuel flowed into the #2 main, which is the closest to the fuselage, the air had nowhere to go and compressed until it blew out the skin. Unfortunately, the pressure was so great that it broke the wing spar in the process.

The cause of the mishap came down to fatigue and bad communication. A fuel leak had developed in the accident wing in the #2 main tank. The plane was pulled into the fuel barn (the hangar in the background of the photos). The leak was repaired and pressure plugs were inserted in the place of the vent plugs. The wing was charged with compressed air. The theory being that if the tank would hold a certain pressure for a certain time, then the leak must be fixed. This also allowed for the replaced panels to "seat."

The plane was then taken back out to the line and refueling started for her next trip to Germany later that day. The personnel who performed the repairs had put in a 20 hour day and went home. Follow on personnel did not swap the pressure test plugs for the vent plugs. As fuel flowed into the #2 main, which is the closest to the fuselage, the air had nowhere to go and compressed until it blew out the skin. Unfortunately, the pressure was so great that it broke the wing spar in the process.
It takes alot to break a spar.

Oh yeah, what surprised me about the A-10's is how freaking quiet they were compared to the F15, F16's and especially the new F35's. Those F35's are loud mutha's!
They’re surprisingly quiet! Can’t mistake that classic turbofan whine when they go into a steep dive. I don’t know what makes those engines tick, maybe they make that sound all the time, but I seem to only really notice it when they dive. And yeah, those F-35s are VERY loud. They’ll shake the pictures off the wall during an air show.

I’ll bet quite a few people needed to change their underwear after that happened.

They’re surprisingly quiet! Can’t mistake that classic turbofan whine when they go into a steep dive. I don’t know what makes those engines tick, maybe they make that sound all the time, but I seem to only really notice it when they dive. And yeah, those F-35s are VERY loud. They’ll shake the pictures off the wall during an air show.

I’ll bet quite a few people needed to change their underwear after that happened.
Yea, We live close to Luke Air Base. You can definately tell the difference when a F-35 fly's over verses a F-16.

-
Back