It can be done !

-

cawley

383 Bcuda
Reaction score
A body with a 383 4spd can be done. Here are some pictures of my 69 cuda with a 4spd & 383. All I did was dented the header just behind the collector & grind some of the collector flange off. I now have plenty of clearance. Now I am not sure about 440s since they are wider. If anyone does this with an A body 440 4spd with Schumacher headers & it works out the same please let us know. I used all my original parts, clutch fork, pedal rod & z bar ( big block A body ) Far as I know the z bar is the only thing for an A body big block. I compared the fork & clutch rod to an A body small block & they are the same. Pictures are not the best but I hope it gives the idea. UP DATE The more I thought about it the more I didn't like the clearances. So I decided to modify the left header. I marked the header where I wanted to cut it. I cut it then I mounted it back on the motor. I put a pry bar in the collector end & then pried down until I was happier with the clearances. Now I have plenty (as shown in the new pictures) I just took the header back out & welded them up. It has to be cheaper than sending it out & have someone else do it.

Attachments

• z bar cuda 001.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 467
  • z bar cuda 002.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 454
  • z bar cuda 003.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 450
  • z bar cuda 004.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 476
  • z bar cuda 005.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 454
I'll let you know on the 440/4spd when i get mine done...in 5-7 years

COOL THANKS! really helps a lot!

so bell housing and z bar are the only things i should worry about associating to BIG block and the rest in interchangeable?

nice job! cant wait to see a finished product and post a video of a cruise to see how she drives.

Have you given any thought as to how the gasket will seal there? That is a gasketed joint.

COOL THANKS! really helps a lot!

so bell housing and z bar are the only things i should worry about associating to BIG block and the rest in interchangeable?

nice job! cant wait to see a finished product and post a video of a cruise to see how she drives.

Z bar yes bell housing I am not sure about

Good thought. I don't see a gasket at that joint lasting under any real driving.

I have a set of Schumachers that I modified for a four speed. They were behind a 440 and fit great, all original clutch parts were used. Only a year old before I removed them and put a 383 in the car with stock big block manifolds. No grinding or denting was necessary.

They are for sale now. 500 bucks plus shipping from Amarillo. I have been told that one company is charging 250 to modify them.

Rod

If you have trouble with the exhaust leaking, try making a gasket out of .125 soft copper or aluminum, I used the copper on my car and it worked great.

NEW pictures

Attachments

• header mods 007.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 271
  • header mods 006.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 272
  • header mods 005.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 267
  • header mods 004.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 253
  • header mods 003.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 263