"It ran when I pulled it"

-
If he's on that Mexican meth he'll be toothless within 2 years.. :confederateflag: :rofl: :rofl::confederateflag::rofl:

Its all good, I was just surprised at all the stuff came off the pickup screen, especially part of a spark plug loom and the big globs of RTV
I strained the oil and a side from babbet from the rod bearings it was pretty clean. I opened up the oil pump which was clean so that screen did its job.

Back in the late 70's my little sister and her husband bought a 318 powered 70 Charger from the original owner with some were in the high 70,000 mile range on it, car ran perfect.
Around a year later they asked me to take a look at it because it was making a weird whirring noise and started using a lot of oil, well to make a long story short the whirring noise was the timing chain rubbing on the front cover and the oil leak was where it wore through. When I took it apart there was not one piece of plastic left on the top gear and that 318 fired up every time and ran as smooth as the day they bought it. Dropped the pan, cleaned out the pickup and pan, new timing chain, gaskets set, a used timing cover. They drove that Charger to around 120,000 miles and my brother in law sold it and used the money for a down payment on a new 1983 Dodge 4x4 truck 318 powered ofcourse.

Maybe he drinks a little too much?
well, if it ran and he said it didn't run, that would be a lie :D
In reality, ask a few questions... "did it run good?" ... "did it hold good oil pressure?" .... "Any knocks or bangs"? ... "overheat?" ....
I mean, it could have been in the last 4 derby cars he entered in his county derby
:lol:

Oh they'll run but when you start setting timing and tuning them that's when you'll naturally notice the slop in the timing gears... runs even better when you put a double roller on it. May as well install a cam while you there...:)

With nylon teeth mostly still on the camshaft gear, that motor likely doesn't have over 150K miles on it.

-
Back