"It seemed like it would be so easy....."

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Today was COLD. I just came in at 3:30 it is about 19F. I thought I would maybe install the frost plug heater in the Dakota (didn't get done) and install some bed anchors. Bear in mind these little guys don't have stake pockets, and the only front bed tie downs are recessed into the floor of the bed. I have been thrashing around and finally found "something" at "North Forty."

Cut and drilled some strap and welded the nuts on. Hung a scratch awl through the hole from the bed, clamped to a vise grip and held with welding magnets. Then reached up with "great effort" from the bottom up into the void and hung the nut plate on the end of the awl.

Took me SIX TRIES on the driver's side, that is where the fuel tank is, so there's less room.

Something I plan to do is loosen them up and work a slit piece of plastic tubing over the "axle" of the D ring so the darn things don't rattle

IMG_1245cs.JPG

IMG_1246cs.JPG

IMG_1248cs.JPG

I did the same thing on my car trailer, great for tying anything down.

Thanks Kim. Cannot IMAGINE not having a pickup with stake pockets. Not because I need racks, just something to use for anchors LOL.

Bitched about that for years on my '93 Dakota. Great solution!

did you consider an "L-track" installarion? There are several styles of track, going by different brand names. Some call it aviation style tracks. you could put it along the inside vertical edge of the box rail. It would be infinitely adjustable in placement of the tie down cleats. And you could just Unclip the cleats and store them in a bag in your glove box, when you're not hauling anything, so they wouldn't be rattling all the time. I put them in my Ram, and they are pretty slick.

did you consider an "L-track" installarion?

I found some of that in my "travels" on the www while looking/ thinking. This is way too low buck for that LOL. I'm just going to loosen them up (in warmer weather!!) and slide some teflon/ nylon etc split tube over the "axle" to quiet them down some. I ALMOST just welded some chain links to some of the strap steel. They would not rattle LOL

A mig weld is a lot easier... I've been meaning to put some hold downs in my '97 Ram...

A mig weld is a lot easier... I've been meaning to put some hold downs in my '97 Ram...

I actually have two migs, and an old Lincoln (about 400 lbs) stick/ tig that I need to "learn." I'm working part time now, at a power wheelchair factory, and there are "a few" awesome TIG guys there.

Just welded a couple of single chain links on the inside of the bed on my Toyota this summer. cheap, no rattle and strong enough.

-
Back