It's about Headers

-

Dart swinger 73

Reaction score
What are the best fitting full size headers for my 73 Dart Swinger w/318.. I had a hell of a time installing Patriot Huger header. Right side was a snap. Once I relocated the oil filter. The left side:banghead: I had to re-design, because of the steering box and starter.:violent1: What do I have to do to install full size headers on my Dart. If I bought a smaller starter would the tubes and collector clear the steering box??

Get a 5.9 magnum mini starter and a set of Dougs headers (If those are to much then Headmans work unless a power steering car which require hammer work).

Get a 5.9 magnum mini starter and a set of Dougs headers (If those are to much then Headmans work unless a power steering car which require hammer work).

Hmmm.........

I put the cheap Summit headers on my car and only had to dimple one tube to clear the steering coupler.

They cost more, but TTI are the best fitting header. No 90* oil filter adapter needed, they don't hang below the steering link, no oil pan clearance issues, thick flanges & tubes, good spark plug access and the 1 5/8"-1 3/4" step works well with any small block that doesn't get too wild. (If you ever plan to upgrade.) Made best power on a mild 360 and they are working well on my low 11 second 360 Dart Sport.

Yhey also have the optional inner/outer coatings.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com..._0307_mopar_crate_engine_exhaust/viewall.html

http://www.ttiexhaust.com/Category-ClassicHeaders/340-Step/TTi340.htm

Yes ,on the Magnum starter,hands down. I think some pictures of the situation, would help solve this dilemma. FWIW,the Scummit headers fit well on a Mopar. Try a set of Flow techs,you will hate it.

I just bought a set of dougs, haven't got them yet but I've heard only but good things about them.

I have Hedmans 1 5/8 tube, no oil filter adapter, full size filter and no clearnce issues.
Mini starter (also no issues)
Spool mounts but they do go under the steering on the drivers side.

You don't have to beat anything with them and the ones I have are aluminized coated.
Been on there about 9 monthes now and still look like new.

Attachments

• headers.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 273
But do the Hedman's tuck up nice and tight on the bottom?

To the OP, a mini starter will be easier to get in and out with headers, but it will offer you no more clearance on the steering.

But do the Hedman's tuck up nice and tight on the bottom?

To the OP, a mini starter will be easier to get in and out with headers, but it will offer you no more clearance on the steering.

That's the single drawback, because if you don't have oversized torsion bars you WILL end up hitting them on something somewhere.
The town I live in has really crappy streets and I have a flat spot on one tube that goes under the steering.
I'm going to end up with PST oversized bars, so when that gets done I'll cut that section out and replace it.
Seems worth it to me since they are less than half of Dougs or TTI even if you get coated ones.

if you have power steering with dougs you will have to change the gear box coupler. the top porshion of the coupler hit the header on mine.You cant even see these when you look under the car.

if you have power steering with dougs you will have to change the gear box coupler. the top porshion of the coupler hit the header on mine.You cant even see these when you look under the car.

The Hedmans clear the coupler by a good inch or more.

I have Hooker Competiton 1 5/8 tubes in a 67 barracuda.Power steering with stock coupler,mini starter and short oil filter and didn't have to ding or dent anything.Advance Auto Parts had a 30% off online coupon this winter,ended up like $169 to my door.

-
Back