Its alive 68 coupe - continued

-

Dorian

dorian
Reaction score
Many of you have seen my post in the Members Restoration: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=59860

now I am asking your opinion on what I have in it and how it runs. Remember that we built this in 2 weeks and had to use the parts that we had laying around so be gentle but be honest, I value all your opinions.

Engine

1962 - 383 B block bored .30 over
1968 383 stock crank, rods, and pistons, .30 over rings ARP rod bolts
906 heads stock valves dual springs, ported
TTI 2" headers
Offenhauser lowrise dual carb intake with carter 625's
440 Melling M63HV high volume oil pump
Comp cam
- Grind Number: PP284H Duration @.050": 239 / 246

Valve lift:.484 / .484

Ignition

Mallory Hyfire VI CD ignition
blaster 2 coil
MSD plug wires
440 Source Probillet Distributor
timing @ 38*

Drive train

833 4speed
Centerforce dual friction clutch and pressure plate
Hayes steel flywheel
Lakewood Bellhousing
Hurst in-line V gate shifter
Dana 60 4.56 gears
Super stock springs no pinion snubber (yet)
Strange spool and 35 spline axles
Competition Engineering adjustable shocks on all 4 corners
Mickey Thompson ET street slicks 26" tall by 9" wide
Goodyear frontrunners

I was planning on changing the cam to this one:

Comp cam:
- Grind Number XE285HL Duration @ .050": 241 / 247

Valve lift: .545 /.545

Not sure the exact compression or cc's of the heads because of the short time we had to build the entire car but we think it is possibly around 8.5 to 1 comp.

we plan on tearing it apart cc'ing the heads and figuring out the comp ratio just to make certain of what the comp ratio really is. If it is what we think it is we may tear the motor down and send it to the machine shop to mill the block and possibly install a set of 915 close chamber heads that are ported and have dual springs as well. Herb figures this will bring the comp up to 10.5 to 1.

I know we have to check the engine out first but if it ends up being what we figure does this sound like a good way to go?

Right now I have run a 13.28 at 102 with a 60' of 1.77

the car is all steel but is gutted out as far as interior and everything under the dash

thank you for your input and your honesty. Remember that I am fairly new at this so I may have missed something in the engine build, if you need anymore info I will do my best to fill it in.

Gary

well i'll take a wild gander here and not that im great at predicting or that i can be specific, but id say mid 12's are definatly there...thats just my guess, i could be totally wrong and very embarassed once the real tech guys chime in lol...bump this up for ya!

Hi Dorian. Is Herb still working with you? Is it spinning the tires? What RPM did you go through at? Do you have a vacuum gauge so you can read it at WOT going through the traps? It should be zero or near it. If not, induction is holding it back. I don't remember what you said you had for heads but I think you told me you had ported ones from Herb. If they are, that's good. Before you buy another cam, call Hughes cams and tell them what you have. I have used their special Mopar cams and they are kick butt. I recommend investment in adjustable valve train, even with a hydraulic cam.
Pat

Hi Dorian. Is Herb still working with you? Is it spinning the tires? What RPM did you go through at? Do you have a vacuum gauge so you can read it at WOT going through the traps? It should be zero or near it. If not, induction is holding it back. I don't remember what you said you had for heads but I think you told me you had ported ones from Herb. If they are, that's good. Before you buy another cam, call Hughes cams and tell them what you have. I have used their special Mopar cams and they are kick butt. I recommend investment in adjustable valve train, even with a hydraulic cam.
Pat

Hi Pat,

thanks for the input. And yes Herb is still with me. Yes the tires are spinning, just enough I am told, the bog from last year is almost gone now, got to love 4.56 gears!

The shift light is set at 5800 and it comes on in the last 100ft before the lights.

No vacuum gauge, I will go over that with Herb, and yes the heads were ported by Herb.

Cam is going to be the one I already bought, .545 lift hyd. I am going to stick it in and see what happens. The budget does not allow for a new one or adjustable drive train. The adjustable drive train will be budgeted for next year!

I will try to get some video to post as well as some pics at the track this weekend. Wish me luck!

Thanks,

Dorian

I think you are definitely on your way to mid twelves soon. There are still things you can do by playing with timing, tire pressure, practicing consistent launches with the 4-spd and so on. Is the tire you have the biggest you can get under the car? That new cam would like 4.89s. The quest to go faster always costs money! Keep having fun and keep your wife involved and give Herb a pat on the back for me!
Pat

I didn't get a chance to get any pics this weekend but I did manage to run a personal best of 13.24 @ 102MPH. I did this Friday night and then entered the races for Sunday and I went into the 2nd round only to find out that I need to hook up one more wire in my car...

that wire would be the gas gauge! LOL oh well I had fun anyway! I am power shifting now and I find that it likes to shift better that way.

I am having a blast and look forward to the next race in 3 weeks.

Dorian

I think you are definitely on your way to mid twelves soon. There are still things you can do by playing with timing, tire pressure, practicing consistent launches with the 4-spd and so on. Is the tire you have the biggest you can get under the car? That new cam would like 4.89s. The quest to go faster always costs money! Keep having fun and keep your wife involved and give Herb a pat on the back for me!
Pat

I have played with the timing, from 35 up to 42 in 2 step increments. It feels best at around 37-38.

I have the tire pressure at 13-15 depending on the track conditions, Friday night street racing, less traction compound, Sat-Sun more traction compound.

Why do you suggest a bigger tire out back? Will that increase my top end speed? I don't want to drop my gear ratio down too much, that was my problem before. (3.54)

And yes I am having fun and the wife was out this last weekend on Sat.

Dorian

Your slicks are 26 x 9 and I was just wondering if that was all you could get under the car. After we moved the springs in, narrowed a rear and mini-tubbed my friend, Rob's, Scamp we were able to get 10" wide cragars under it and 12" of rubber. With 1.77 60-ft, you probably have some spin. Believe me, I'm not criticizing at all! I always put the biggest tire under a car that I could. Even a 28" tall slick will increase mph and give a bigger footprint even it if stays 9" wide. You have a super good drive train in your car and it can take serious starts. Have Herb study the tire spin next time out. You would be amazed how fast half a second is lost! Rock on!
Pat

It seems a very short tyre for a 4.56 gear, i run 29.5 tyres and i'm turning 7000rpm at the stripe and with my old axle with 4.30 gears, i was turning 6700.
I had a Duster 383 with a slightly larger solid comp cam than yours, that ran 12.60 easy and sounded nastier than the big roller in my 440.

29.5 x 10.5 slicks are my next purchase for the car. The only reason I still have the 26 x 10's are that I can't afford to purchase them now. My goal for now is to run mid to low 12's eventually.

Thanks for the input everyone. I am going to the track this weekend and I plan on getting some video and pics. Will post them by Monday.

Dorian

Ok guys it has been a while but I have had a lot of fun over the last 2 years! The car as it was ran a best 12.80 at 105 MPH. I was using 29"x10" slicks and even though they were used the taller tire was just what the doctor ordered! All of you said that I should go to a larger tire, this year I am buy new slicks! Can't wait...

The cuda is in the shop for body work and a new motor. As well Herb and I are installing a roll bar.
Other improvements added over the last year were all aimed at lightening the car. Complete gutting of the car and adding an aluminium interior ( I do interiors on the side, I am a sheet metal mechanic). Fiberglass front fenders (thanks to FABO member 4spdragtop!) removed all the seats and installed a racing seat.

I will add pics of the car as I strip it and try to keep this updated. It will be done very quick, whats new! lol so try to keep up!

Hey Dorian...glad to see you add to the thread!! Howd the fenders work for ya?? If I remember there was a slight crack in one?? You promised a video 2 years ago??? Where dat?? Glad yer having fun and spinning wheels....me no money no funny...

Cudabodywork001.jpg

there are more pics but you get the idea... remember it is a race car first so don't expect it to be ready for the car show circuit! lol

Here are a few pics of the aluminium interior, I still have to work on the dash, I will add those pics soon.

Cudabodywork017.jpg

Cudabodywork018.jpg

Cudabodywork020.jpg

Cudabodywork016.jpg

Thats some dam nice alumi interior there Dorian.That Barracuda is the cats meow!Very nice,will be watching as you progress.:clock:

-
Back