It's Alive. New engine first fire up.

-

Dartfan71

Reaction score
Firing up my fresh 360 for the first time. Last night I set the timing roughly, adjusted the floats and checked fuel pressure and bam! Fired right up. I wanted to run for a few seconds and check for oil leaks before we break in the cam and seat the rings tonight. Has a nice sound huh?

[ame]https://youtu.be/RIZW4mxXCBs[/ame]

Sounds awesome. Looks just as good too!

congrats! I love that fresh engine sound...and the feeling of accomplishment.

I like to run flat tappets from first crank to over 2000 to 5000 varied RPM for 20 + minutes to maximize my chances of a successful cam break-in. You do realize running the motor for a short while escencially wipes and washes off all the cam break-in lube? It's typically not a good idea before you're going to break in the cam? It may still be alright, but it is preferred to break-in the cam and tappets right out of the gate.

I don't mean to rain on you parade, that's a beautiful car, I just hate to see so many guys experience lobe failure.

I like to run flat tappets from first crank to over 2000 to 5000 varied RPM for 20 + minutes to maximize my chances of a successful cam break-in. You do realize running the motor for a short while escencially wipes and washes off all the cam break-in lube? It's typically not a good idea before you're going to break in the cam? It may still be alright, but it is preferred to break-in the cam and tappets right out of the gate.

I don't mean to rain on you parade, that's a beautiful car, I just hate to see so many guys experience lobe failure.

I do appriciate your input and I have taken every precaution possible breaking in this motor and the break in went smooth with no issues. In my opinion there is nothing worse than getting halfway through a cam break in and realize you have a huge oil leak, fuel leak or lean condition. I don't think that it hurts anything to do a test fire for a few seconds ahead of time. I thinks it's pretty rare for a new build to fire right up and have no issues at all. Maybe in a dream world, but not in mine.

Now I need to install the inner valve springs, change the oil, cut open the filter and drive this thing.

I was thinking the same exact thing....Just wasn't going to say anything.....My engine builder said that my new 340 engine must fire immediately ( without cranking and cranking) and run 20 minutes at 2000 + RPM variable for cam to break in.....He was adamant on making sure I had the timing and everything set close when it fired so it would stay running for 20 + minutes........I would have put up with an oil leak and broke the cam in first....then fixed the oil leak later...

But as said beautiful car and I hope your cam broke in OK and didn't wash out a lobe....Sounds awesome!

Dig that color. What is it?

It's actually EV2 Hemi Orange Poly (Little bit of Metallic) in PPG Onmi, Base-Clear. The pictures on the trailer makes the car look more red than orange. To the eye it's Orange. I like it.

I broke in the cam at 2,500-3,500 rpm for about 25 minutes. I have never actually wiped a cam lobe yet. How soon would I know? I thought removing the inner spring would help avoid this?

I broke in the cam at 2,500-3,500 rpm for about 25 minutes. I have never actually wiped a cam lobe yet. How soon would I know? I thought removing the inner spring would help avoid this?

Sadly, if you don't run a specialty oil like Brad Penn or a racing oil specifically designed for flat tappets chances will be much greater for a wiped cam lobe. I had one go away years ago on an old Purple Shaft after 4 or 5K miles. You will hear and feel it when and if you lose one. The bad part is that all that hardened metal goes through your motor. Another reason I like Jomar no-bypass oil filters. Just don't run one on your daily driver.

They removed a lot of the high pressure lubricants from-off-the-shelf street legal oils like zinc from the modern oils because they would eventually foul the catalytic converters at 60 to 80k + miles. A lot of flat tappet cammed motors have been affected by this change. Most modern engines have roller lifters. I upgraded my 440 with an aftermarket hydraulic roller, and my 408 Magnum uses roller lifters too.

Sadly, if you don't run a specialty oil like Brad Penn or a racing oil specifically designed for flat tappets chances will be much greater for a wiped cam lobe. I had one go away years ago on an old Purple Shaft after 4 or 5K miles. You will hear and feel it when and if you lose one. The bad part is that all that hardened metal goes through your motor. Another reason I like Jomar no-bypass oil filters. Just don't run one on your daily driver.

They removed a lot of the high pressure lubricants from-off-the-shelf street legal oils like zinc from the modern oils because they would eventually foul the catalytic converters at 60 to 80k + miles. A lot of flat tappet cammed motors have been affected by this change. Most modern engines have roller lifters. I upgraded my 440 with an aftermarket hydraulic roller, and my 408 Magnum uses roller lifters too.

I did use brad penn break in oil. We will see. Thanks

I did use brad penn break in oil. We will see. Thanks

Good job! Be sure to always run the specially designed oil for flat tappet cams, and you are less likely to lose a lobe. It does cost more, but its good insurance against lobe failure.

-
Back